98 tahoe steering problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royd

Reaction score
I have 98 tahoe and when taking slow gradual turns mostly to the right with tension on the steering wheel it feels as if something in the steering lets go and results in a slight loss of control only for a second. Steering also feels as if it has too much play when on the highway. Wanders from left to right.
Any suggestions as to what to look for and how to correct the problem. Help!

chevyfreak

Reaction score
My 99 Tahoe also has that slight slip in the steering wheel when going slightly to the right. I have wondered what it is for a while now. Anybody know?

jascbowman

Reaction score
1999 Tahoe

I also have the same problem which began about 2 months ago.

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check tthe idler arm and other related components on the front suspension.

jascbowman

Reaction score
1999 Tahoe steering problems

Should have mentioned my mechanic checked the front end - everything is tight and in exc. cond. Tires show no abnormal wear & front end was aligned.
It is as if the steering times out or slips for a split second (the steering has very little or no resistance during this malfunction), drifts and causes a slight overcorrection - not a problem on dry pavement but could be in wet or icy conditions. It seems to happen @35 - 40 mph or above during lane changes or slight turns.

jascbowman

Reaction score
I replaced the steering position sensor (EVO sensor) and this has solved the problem so far.

kastiron

Reaction score
My 1999 tahoe is doing the same thing. Is this EVO sensor an expensive repair? Is it a DIY project?

First post here, exactly the thread I was looking for.

pav245

Reaction score
EVO sensor replacement

Hardest part is getting to the connector.

Under the dash, disconnect the steering rod and slide it up. The EVO sensor is located on the steering rod with the connector on top and almost impossible to get to or see. Unplug it and remove it by sliding it down the rod. Put the new one in and reconnect the rod.

Haven't done it yet but I do have the issue everyone is describing but also have play in my idler and pitman arms to relay rod connections that have to be dealt with first.

kastiron

Reaction score
Thanks! I am torn between doing it myself or allowing the dealer to do it. The 1 hour charge isn't terrible I guess. Especially, if you consider the pain in the tail it sometimes is tearing into this stuff.

royd

Reaction score
98 tahoe steering slip problem

After some research on a GMC / CHEVROLET Automotive Forum, the steering slip is accurately described a number of times as a steering wheel sensor (also known as an EVO sensor) problem. If you do a general search, I use Yahoo, of "Chevrolet Tahoe EVO or steering wheel sensor problem" you will find lots of great info. Some people have even posted "replacement procedures" of the EVO sensor which seems to be a relatively easy task. This EVO sensor is located on the steering column under the dash inside the cab. I'm going to give it a try within the next couple of days. I will post a reply to let everyone know how it went. Wish me luck!!

damassa

Reaction score
i also have this same problem on my 98 tahoe and patiently await your posting :yesnod:

royd

Reaction score
steering slip 98 tahoe

For those of us who have been experiencing the steering slip, we seem to understand that it is due to an EVO or steering position sensor. Many of us think that it is the same thing. After talking to a GM technician, they are not the same thing. The EVO is located on the power steering pump in the engine compartment and the Steering Position Sensor is located on the steering column under the dash just above the brake pedal. After talking to the same technician, the problem is symptomatic of a faulty steering position sensor.
I will post a new thread sometime this week after I make the repair to let everyone know if the problem is corrected.

jascbowman

Reaction score
Steering slip

My mechanic replaced the steering position sensor on my 1999 Tahoe and this solved the steering slippage problem.(About $130.00 parts & labor)

Trip

Reaction score
Steering Problem solved by replacing the EVO

I just fixed my steering problem on my '99 Tahoe. Here is what you need to do. :thumbsup:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
GM PART # 26064468
PACK QTY: 1
GM LIST: $64.75
OUR PRICE: $36.91
DESCRIPTION: SENSOR
thank
1. Remove the bolt and nut (15mm deep socket) that connects the bottom of the steering column to the intermediate shaft that passes through the firewall. (You may need to turn your wheel to lock to access the nut. Might be wise to make an alignment mark on the shaft)

2. Slide the intermediate shaft towards the firewall. It may feel fairly stiff but it will go.

3. Once the shaft is out of the way, pry out the 3 little plastic tabs that hold the sensor in place and slide the sensor out of the housing.

4. Unplug the wire harness on the old sensor and remove the sensor

5. Plug in the new sensor BEFORE you pop it into place. Trust me on this one!

6. Pop the new sensor into place with the wires at the top. One sidenote here: I found no reference marks, slots, or keys anywhere so I am not sure if it matters how it is aligned. The wires need to be on the top or they won't reach.

7. Reconnect the steering shaft.

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just fixed my steering problem on my '99 Tahoe. Here is what you need to do. :thumbsup:

GM PART # 26064468
thank
1. Remove the bolt and nut (15mm deep socket) that connects the bottom of the steering column to the intermediate shaft that passes through the firewall. (You may need to turn your wheel to lock to access the nut. Might be wise to make an alignment mark on the shaft)

2. Slide the intermediate shaft towards the firewall. It may feel fairly stiff but it will go.

3. Once the shaft is out of the way, pry out the 3 little plastic tabs that hold the sensor in place and slide the sensor out of the housing.

6. Pop the new sensor into place with the wires at the top. One sidenote here: I found no reference marks, slots, or keys anywhere so I am not sure if it matters how it is aligned. The wires need to be on the top or they won't reach.

Great post!:thumbsup:

kastiron

Reaction score
My mechanic replaced the steering position sensor on my 1999 Tahoe and this solved the steering slippage problem.(About $130.00 parts & labor)

I opted to go with the dealer install route as well. I was in for another service anyway, and they were a little kinder to me on the labor cost. $95 installed was the additional charge for me.

I spoke with the tech, he said it was a no-brainer and I could have handled it.

Thanks for this thread, I wish I had found it 140,000 miles ago.

royd

Reaction score
98 tahoe steering slip

Just wanted to let everyone know that I replaced the steering position sensor almost a month ago in my 98 tahoe and the problem (steering slip) is gone! I mean not even any "minor play" in the steering. Cost for me was $105.00 for the sensor and 25-30 minutes to replace myself. If you decide to try the repair your self make sure the steering is locked in place and disconnect the battery. Best of luck!

98tahoelt

Reaction score
:thumbsup: I just changed my Steering Position Sensor and it fixed my steering slip problem. It did not take over 10 minutes to cure the problem. Simple install. I would do this ONCE per year if it meant that much of a differnece. WHAT A DIFFERNECE!!!:clapping: :Chevy:

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GM PART # 26064468
thank

This is an older string, but it was very usefull to me. I stumbled upon it while searching for something else, and it pointed out a problem I had not even realized was there. I had always taken it to be the nature of the aged beast, litttle did I know. Thank you Tahoe Forum....:rom2:

madspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here!!! just replaced mine and BIG difference. Its a frickien wonder the guys at the alignments shops arent aware of this. Just had mine aligned last week and they said all was good, but it still wants to wander. stumbled upon this thread and BAM fixed!!

THANKS ALL!!