To Dump Exhaust or Not to Dump Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a huge dillema, in my conquest to completely mod my Tahoe Ive run across a small problem. I am not sure whether I should add a new flowmaster muffler and run exhaust all the way back to a FAT exhaust tip (or two), or just cut the exhaust off after a new flowmaster muffler to get a better sound. My friend cut the exhaust off after his muffler on his Dodge Ram, and it sounds SICK!! Plus just cutting it off is cheaper, but I like the look of big tips out the back. :ack: Any feedback would rock!! :Chevy:

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to what you want and how much money you are will to spend.

In my case, I just wanted to change the sound and spend as little as possible at this point. I kept the stock exhaust piping and only changed the muffler with a Magnaflow unit (can not find the part number). The cost was about $120 installed. The sound is very smooth and deep with the V8 rumble. Not too loud in the truck for the wife and kid; good compromise.

If you wanted the exhaust to look good also, the shop quoted a custom single tip Magnaflow setup for $270.

Search this and other forums for reviews of exhaust options. Looks like people have come to the same conclusion, Magnaflow for smooth and louder sounding exhaust (very little droning or booming inside) or Flowmaster for the classic loud V8 rumble.

Hope this helps.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I pretty much want to change the sound, and like I said by cutting the pipes off after a new muffler like the flowmast or magnaflow it sounds absoultely sick, and its really cheap. But I will definately look into just replacing the muffler and keeping thte stock pipes, but I still want to put fat tips on the end on the stock. :ack: :Chevy:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In CA, don't you have regular emissions testing? What does that do to your ability to pass? Here in VA, no tailpipe = fail = no vehicle registration. But hey, it does sound really cool!! (Hmmmm, drill some holes maybe? :D)

Side note: I used to drive a '79 Chevy with a big-block and a 4-barrel carb (former farm vehicle), and one day the exhaust was damaged and came off before the muffler. Now THAT sounded cool, while my dad let it last... :D

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drone inside the Tahoe will be horrendous, but if you can stand it, it's worth a try...worst case is you get sick of it and then put the rest of the system back on? Just cut it behind whatever muffler you put on, so that you can easily add the rest of the system (or aftermarket piping) if you wanted later...

I love a great sounding vehicle, but my Tahoe is not the one I want the loud exhaust in (my Magnaflow is perfect in this truck)...my GTO or my K5, yeah, bring on the noise!

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In CA, don't you have regular emissions testing? What does that do to your ability to pass? Here in VA, no tailpipe = fail = no vehicle registration. But hey, it does sound really cool!! (Hmmmm, drill some holes maybe? :D) Side note: I used to drive a '79 Chevy with a big-block and a 4-barrel carb (former farm vehicle), and one day the exhaust was damaged and came off before the muffler. Now THAT sounded cool, while my dad let it last... :D
In California i'm 99 percent sure that we don't have to have tailpipes as my friend with Dodge (with no pipes) has passed, but I could be wrong. And all my friends told me to take it all off before the muffler because, yes, frankly any V8 without a muffler sounds awesome, but where I live the cops would be on me before I pulled out of my driveway!!:D

The drone inside the Tahoe will be horrendous, but if you can stand it, it's worth a try...worst case is you get sick of it and then put the rest of the system back on? Just cut it behind whatever muffler you put on, so that you can easily add the rest of the system (or aftermarket piping) if you wanted later... I love a great sounding vehicle, but my Tahoe is not the one I want the loud exhaust in (my Magnaflow is perfect in this truck)...my GTO or my K5, yeah, bring on the noise!
As far as the droning I am hoping that I can drown it out with my system:cool2: but your idea is great, because if I don't like it the shop I talked to also said as you did that I could always add pipes! Unfortunately I do not own a GTO:drool: (I wish I did, congrats on that) so the Tahoe is going to my loud vehicle seeings how our Honda Ridgline probably wouldn't sound very good (and the family would probably strangle me) and our VW Golf already has exhaust that makes it sound louder and deeper than a rice rocket, but I love the Tahoe the most, and you can NEVER go wrong with V8 Rumble:Chevy:! Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally decided to dump my exhaust, but now I can't decide what flowmaster muffler to get. I am looking at the Flowmaster 40 series or 50 Series muffler, any feedback would be great!!

1bad07

Reaction score
Its all personal taste on the exhaust flowmasters are loud when you dont run tailpipes,and they dont function right either,from what flowmaster claims.I had a flowmaster 50 series on mine with a tailpipe and it sounded good but it was alittle loud for me and the wife and kids,especially when it would go from 4 cylinders to 8 that was really annoying! So I put a 5x8x18 magnaflow muffler on and its perfect loud when you get on it and mellow when cruising and best of all no drone.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take that into consideration! I'm getting it done on thursday, so I will ask the shop about Magnaflows as they also carry those and reccomended the Magnaflow. I want it loud :cool2:, as none of my families cars can get me the v8 rumble I crave!! And I'm not sure what you mean by them not functioning without pipes, if you had more info. on that, it would be great!! :Chevy:

1bad07

Reaction score
One of the sales guys at Flowmaster told me when you use there mufflers and dont use a tailpipe the mufflers dont perform right, something to do with the scavaging effect with the muffler,if there's no tailpipe.Now I dont know if it was a sales pitch to get me to buy a cat-back,but I would give them a ring and see what they say. Either way its going to sound good.

ockevin

Reaction score
I dumped mine before, cuz of the air bags, but the sound and drone was soo annoying I could not take it anymore and put on the full tail pipe. I did hide it an inch or so behind the panel. You cannot see it, but its no longer too loud.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the sales guys at Flowmaster told me when you use there mufflers and dont use a tailpipe the mufflers dont perform right, something to do with the scavaging effect with the muffler,if there's no tailpipe.Now I dont know if it was a sales pitch to get me to buy a cat-back,but I would give them a ring and see what they say. Either way its going to sound good.

Thanks for the info, but I already have a catback, I think, but I will definately give them a call before I take it in tommorow! And as far as the drone, I plan on drowning it out with my sound system! Plus if it gets to bad I'll just get a pipe!:Chevy:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually went with your guys suggestions and got a Magnaflow with a single pipe and FAT tip!! Its sounds sick when I get on the gas, but I cant hear it inside and it is really mellow when idling. The shop I took it to was really knowledgable and let me listen to the flowmaster, and the magnaflow w/out pipes. The Flowmaster sounded great!! But I couldn't hear what my friend was saying on the phone while I was inside the truck, so I opted for the magnaflow, and took the shops advice on a pipe and tip. I already notice the truck drives a lot smoother, and I feel a boost in horsepower (not much, but granted I feel it). Ill post pics as soon as I can, it sounds great!!, kinda smells bad though. :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, is it possible to change just the muffler with a flowmaster, like you did with the Magnaflow, i want the loud v8 rumble, i have a chrome exhaust tip so i don't want to do the whole thing.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it is a really simple procedure and if the shop is good it should take them less than a half an hour. I loved the flowmaster, and they are great as long as you don't mind the extra noise on the interior (definately noticeable on the phone and if you are listening to music). Which I do a lot so I opted for the Magnaflow, pretty much the same outside with less inside. I would definately recommend doing it!! :Chevy:

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it is a really simple procedure and if the shop is good it should take them less than a half an hour. I loved the flowmaster, and they are great as long as you don't mind the extra noise on the interior (definately noticeable on the phone and if you are listening to music). I would definately recommend doing it!! :Chevy:

what flowmaster would you reccommend, gmt800 yukon xl 06

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the best bet is to go with the Flowmaster 50 series SUV, as it is built for big vehicles, and it sounds great! :Chevy:

1bad07

Reaction score
What size Magnaflow muffler did you go with? the 5x8x18 or the 5x11x22?

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of it finally done!

Here are some pics of it finally done!

DSCN0438.jpg

You Can see the tip right after the rear wheel
DSCN0422.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0428.jpg