a/c problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoDoorVA

Reaction score
My A/C started blowing hot air in the beginning of summer. I went by Advance and picked up a recharge kit for it. While I was trying to recharge, I noticed the A/C trying to start every 5 or 6 seconds. The pulley would start to spin and a second later it would stop, this went on the whole time. Is this a sign of a dead A/C compressor? James

mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My A/C started blowing hot air in the beginning of summer. I went by Advance and picked up a recharge kit for it. While I was trying to recharge, I noticed the A/C trying to start every 5 or 6 seconds. The pulley would start to spin and a second later it would stop, this went on the whole time. Is this a sign of a dead A/C compressor? James

yep. compressor is going bad. sounds like the clutch is not engaging

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No, that is NOT usually a sign of a dead compressor. That is what the compressors are designed to do when the system is low on referigerant. There are a couple of pressure switches, and if they sense low referigerant, they will not let the compressor run. But, it will cycle the compressor on and off it the pressure is low, but not empty. If you recharge your system the compressor should stay running. If you are not sure about what to do, take it to a shop. It is easy to mess up an A/C system if you don't know what you are doing. $75 for a evacuation and refill is much cheaper than a new compressor. If there is a problem with the compressor, the shop can tell you before they even start to do any work.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep in mind it is only about $12 worth of refrigerant to refill your a/c system. i paid $40 for a recharge with ultraviolet dye so i could find the leak. it is prolly a leak in the the system. tahoes are famous for developing leaks in the passenger side of the firewall. i forget if it's the evaporator or condensor, but either way it is the one mounted on the cab side of the firewall (another idiot move by GM engineers). to replace it you must remove entire dash including dropping the steering column. it is above the heater box... mine still needs replacing as i don't have the time to do it myself or the money to pay some1 else to do it for me. the part costs $70 and labor is about $400. lame, huh?

CmdrZod

Reaction score
Restarting an old post but I have a similar problem and was curious as to what is really going on. '95 hoe with the 5.7, a/c compressor clutch engages for about 2sec. and disengages for about 2sec. I went and put an entire bottle of refrigerant in and the gauge that came with the it will fluctuate with the engaging and disengaging of the compressor. psi fluctuates between 20psi and 45psi. 20 psi with the clutch engaged and 45psi when disengaged. Do I need more refrigerant or is there something else going on? The a/c doenst get really cold at all.

Thanks for the help! :waytogo:
Zod

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have 30's running and 70's off..... Still low at your #'s for low side....

CmdrZod

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try and add more see what happens. I just didn't want to put to much in and over fill it and wreck something.