How to tell if my Tahoe came with keyless entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Tahoe from a non-Chevy dealer with over 100K miles. I asked them if it had keyless entry, but they said they did not know. My question is how can I tell if this was an option on my Tahoe? It should be a pretty simple process of programming a new transmitter if it had keyless from the factory. Otherwise, I will have to install an aftermarket unit.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the papers and the booklet in your glove department.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the original paperwork, it may be hard to tell. Copy down your VIN and call the local Chevy dealer's service department, and ask them to look up your VIN in their dealer tool. They should have electronic access to the original build sheet that would include whether or not your vehicle had remote keyless entry.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the papers and the booklet in your glove department.

That's part of the problem. There are no papers, not even an owner's manual.

If you don't have the original paperwork, it may be hard to tell. Copy down your VIN and call the local Chevy dealer's service department, and ask them to look up your VIN in their dealer tool. They should have electronic access to the original build sheet that would include whether or not your vehicle had remote keyless entry.

Good idea. I need to pick up some floor mats I ordered from the dealer anyway, and I can ask then. Thanks!

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 97 is the same as the 98. I know the key fob looks exactly the same. You can tell quickly if you have the keyless entry system and if it works. Locate the OBD II data link connector just below the steering wheel on the bottom of the dash. Looking at the connector, you will see that there are two rows of pins. You are intested in the top row only. The pins are numbered from the left across to the right, one through eight. Find pins four and eight.

To enter programming mode for the RKE system, short across pins four and eight with a bent paperclip or something similar. Be sure you get the right pins. If the vehicle has the RKE system installed and working, when you short across, the doors will cycle (lock and unlock). To exit programming mode, just remove the shorting wire.

If you happen to know a used car dealer that does a lot of volume and has been in business for a while, you might try checking with them for a key fob or two. Most big car dealers have a box full of fobs that they have accumulated over the years. The fobs you are looking for look like this: http://stores.homestead.com/usedkeylessremotes/Categories.bok?category=P/N+2131. Or you can also buy the remote fob from these guys too.

Good luck

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron! I just went out and tried it and the door locks cycle. :thumbsup: Looks like I need to pick up a fob. Do you know if the ebay ones are worth buying? Some of those are pretty inexpensive, but I don't know if I trust them. I will probably take your suggestion and get one from the website you provided a link for. Thanks again.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Űber Techie!

Locate the OBD II data link connector just below the steering wheel on the bottom of the dash. Looking at the connector, you will see that there are two rows of pins. You are intested in the top row only. The pins are numbered from the left across to the right, one through eight. Find pins four and eight...

"I hereby dub thee Sir Ron, King of the Keyfobs, and guardian of Tahoe Lock Programming!" :clapping:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.:) I stumbled across the mygmlink website yesterday while searching for online manuals, Sir Ron. :giggling:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I ordered a fob last week. It came today, and now I have working keyless entry! :cool2: Thanks for the help guys, you are awesome.:thumbsup:

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I have a FOB and want to program it, once I jump the pins and the lock cycle do I push any buttons on the FOB?

Yes, hold down the lock and unlock buttons together until you hear the lock cycle again and you should be good to go

homer

Reaction score
I need help with the door locks, they seemed to failing one by one over a few short weeks ????? is a relay failing or it is a much bigger problem, cannot lock the vehicle...the two front door locks work but the three rear doors have stopped one by one.. help

homer

Reaction score
I think the 97 is the same as the 98. I know the key fob looks exactly the same. You can tell quickly if you have the keyless entry system and if it works. Locate the OBD II data link connector just below the steering wheel on the bottom of the dash. Looking at the connector, you will see that there are two rows of pins. You are intested in the top row only. The pins are numbered from the left across to the right, one through eight. Find pins four and eight.

To enter programming mode for the RKE system, short across pins four and eight with a bent paperclip or something similar. Be sure you get the right pins. If the vehicle has the RKE system installed and working, when you short across, the doors will cycle (lock and unlock). To exit programming mode, just remove the shorting wire.

If you happen to know a used car dealer that does a lot of volume and has been in business for a while, you might try checking with them for a key fob or two. Most big car dealers have a box full of fobs that they have accumulated over the years. The fobs you are looking for look like this: http://stores.homestead.com/usedkeylessremotes/Categories.bok?category=P/N+2131. Or you can also buy the remote fob from these guys too.

Good luck

Ron would jumping the pins help me determine if I have two bad remotes ? three of my doors no longer will lock ??