A couple lights are out..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhortonvt

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Denali and the first time I drove it at night I noticed a few dash lights are out:

-- Buttons #1 and #4 on radio(which are above and below each other so I assume they're lit by the same bulb)

-- 'Seek' rocker button on radio

-- 'recirculate' button for climate control

-- volume control rocker button on steering wheel

Getting to the dash bulbs seems like it will be a PITA, and I can't see how the steering wheel control can be disassembled.

Any one have experience with this?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Actually, the dash is very simple. Set the parking brake. Put the key in the ignition and turn forward to the run position; do not start the truck. Now put the shifter all the way down in first. The bezel that goes around the instrument cluster, radio, climate controls, etc is just snapped in place with clips. Pull straight out on the dash bezel; starting in the upper left or right corner will make it easier. The climate controls are also held in place with clips in the corners. If you look at each corner carefully, you'll see a small white tab. Push the two top tabs down and the two bottm tabs up and you'll be able to pull out the controls.
For the steering wheel, remove the shroud around the column. Behind the wheel, you should see two screws. Remove those screws and you should be able to remove the front airbag cover and go from there. Go through the airbag disable procedure first before removing the wheel.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
What kind of bulbs are in the dash? Neo Wedge, 194, #74???

I believe it takes 195 and 74, depending upon location on the cluster. I'll have to pull one apart and take a look. I want to change mine to LED.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it takes 195 and 74, depending upon location on the cluster. I'll have to pull one apart and take a look. I want to change mine to LED.

Ya me too. I'll take a look when I install my aux hook ups for MP3, DVD, etc. Or I might wait til I get my White Faced Escalade gauges. Those are gonna look hot!!!

jhortonvt

Reaction score
Well getting to the dash bulbs wasn't too bad-thanks for the tip on the plastic frame, JK.

It didn't take me long to realize the bulb contacts are actually soldered into the electronics board, not as easy as unplugging and replacing but hopefully it won't be too bad. I'd like to replace most/all of them while I'm there we'll see how it goes.

JK, I plan on tackling the volume controls on the steering wheel next, and you mentioned disabling the airbag. Do you know how to do that, or where I can get the instructions?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
JK, I plan on tackling the volume controls on the steering wheel next, and you mentioned disabling the airbag. Do you know how to do that, or where I can get the instructions?

You are going to have to remove the trim around the IP (instrument panel) to do this.

1. Turn the steering wheel so wheels are pointed straight ahead.
2. Turn off ignition and remove keys.
3. Remove airbag fuse from fuse block.
4. At the base of the steering column, there will be a yellow 2-way connector. Disconnect this connector.
5. If you haven't already, remove the IP trim.
6. Remove the IP assembly.
7. Behind the IP assembly, there will another yellow 2-way connector. Disconnect this connector.

To re-arm the airbag restraint system, just repeat the procedure in the opposite manner.

jhortonvt

Reaction score
Thanks for those instructions JK.

As I said I've got the circuit boards with the bulbs soldered on, and I've been taking them around town to try to find replacements---with NO luck. The GMC and Chevy dealer said they'd have to order the whole unit, there was no way they could get just a bulb. Radio Shack had some that were close but not the same, and the local auto accessories shop had no idea.

The bulbs are very tiny with little black (for the stereo) or white (for the climate control) sleeves on the bottom half. They have two wires out beyond the sleeve that get soldered to the back side of the board. Total length is not much more than 1/4" to 1/3".

Anybody have thoughts on who might have them?

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check Radio Shack, don't have a part number handy, but I know they sell them. Check your voltage for ones that work and use the same voltage, I read somewhere that it's 1.5 volts....

Aaron

2k5Tahoe

Reaction score
How did you manage to separate the circut board from the unit, i wasn't able to sepearte the in fear of breaking the borad.