Buying a Tahoe or Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up, Im buying a tahoe soon. I wanted to know some general things I should be looking for in a Tahoe or Yukon. I have a few around town Im looking at, but besides the obvious stuff, I want to get some info from current owners on things to look for. Which engine is better? 4.8 or 5.3 (I think these are the right numbers)? Is there a heavier duity transmittion? I dont need to tow anything, I need 4X4. Is there a V-6 model?..... ext. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5.3L will be better for you and is on the higher model trims.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The 4.8 is only a few hp shy of the 5.3. But because of the longer stroke on the 5.3, the torque is much higher, which will help to get the heavy truck moving more easily. This in turn may get you better gas mileage, using less effort to get the truck moving. There is no V6 available. And the 4L60E is the only available transmission.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info....

I think i found my truck. a little older than I wanted, but awesome shape. It a 00 Yukon SLT, under 100K, 5.3, and a great price. One thing I want to know, what did you guys do with the little tape deck in the center consol (if you even have it)? Is there a filler plate or something that can go in its place? Thanks for the info on the engins by the way.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I think i found my truck. a little older than I wanted, but awesome shape. It a 00 Yukon SLT, under 100K, 5.3, and a great price. One thing I want to know, what did you guys do with the little tape deck in the center consol (if you even have it)? Is there a filler plate or something that can go in its place? Thanks for the info on the engins by the way.

Cool. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Here's what I did with mine:

Attachments

• Center consol;e screen (8).JPG
    Center consol;e screen (8).JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 31

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just store small stuff in it.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the LCD. Is there a site that sells that type of stuff? Or is that a custom job? I dont know a lot about GM's yet, I am now an ex Ford guy so bare with me. I think I'm picking the truck up at two. So I'll post a pic or two when I get it. Then its gonna be a full fluid change.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I like the LCD. Is there a site that sells that type of stuff? Or is that a custom job? I dont know a lot about GM's yet, I am now an ex Ford guy so bare with me. I think I'm picking the truck up at two. So I'll post a pic or two when I get it. Then its gonna be a full fluid change.

I think your going to like the switch over from Ford. I've always been a GM man. But for some odd reason I ended up buying a brand new Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition back in 02 instead of a Tahoe. Well, after two years I got rid of it and bought a Tahoe instead, which was much better.
The LCD is a custom piece I made, so you probably wouldn't be able to find that anywhere.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Ive been driveing the new truck for a couple days now. Love it. But I cant figure out how to post pics. Very smooth ride, I dont think I will regret the change over. What are some good sites for GM parts (OEM and after market)? Im gonna figure out this picture thing.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PICT0111.jpg

Its all stock. Changed almost all the fluids and filters. Im thinking of getting rid of the side step things. So I'll be looking for the next project for it soon.