What Grade Gas Do You Run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barzten1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what grade gas some members run in their vehicles? I ran a full tank of E85 which was slightly cheaper but seems like it burned alot faster. Performance was slightly noticable. Just filled it up with 86 octane. I know the 24" wheels aren't helping either.

jdub_s

Reaction score
unleaded or E85

Should I fill up with unleaded or E85?

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one station out here that sells E85 sells it for about 15% more than the priciest unleaded and you get about 10% lower mileage with E85. Unleaded is a no brainer. The E85 is about 50 cents more per gallon than the cheapest unleaded. I wont consider E85 until it is at least 10% cheaper than the cheapest unleaded. I run 87 octane. I've never seen a lower grade in this area.
I was on a road trip out of state and ran 84 and 85 with no problems and no noticeable change in mileage.

IndyHoe

Reaction score
E85

I live in the corn belt so E85 is about 15% cheaper than gas now but overall economy drops an easy 20%. 15 months ago when we got our first local E85pump it was the same price as gas and has dropped as availability increased. I use E85 because its domestic and clean. You could drink pure ethanol (moonshine) if not for government mandated additives to avoid refineries becoming distilleries. I'm in favor of alternative fuels and power sources to reduce our dependance on foreign oil. Diesel, hybrids and flex fuel vehicles all help a little bit and together are a huge step in the right direction. I scan all the latest truck magazines eagerly awaiting a feature article on supercharging a E85 Hoe. :clapping:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run regular, usually I will run medium, but because of the high prices it has forced me to use regular. But when I do run medium I definately notice my Hoe' runs smoother and overall feels better. :Chevy:

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm just running 87. They don't have any E85 stations around the Memphis TN area yet.

JJY1034

Reaction score
E85 is a "feel good" fuel

My uncle who works for a major oil company in the U.S. said that E85 is viewed as a "feel good" fuel by the oil companies. It does reduce the need for foreign oil to a small degree. The biggest problem with it, especially for us SUV drivers is a fuel economy drop of up to 33%. If your Tahoe gets 20 mpg highway, expect more like 14 from E85. I will stick with regular fuel until that changes.

Lizard1

Reaction score
i have reprogrammed my ECU with the superchip(?) or something like that as well as did a CAI. So I will fill up with either 93 or 89 - alternating a half tanks so that it averages out to 91 octane. It sounds expensive but it's just a few extra dollars each visit and I only put on about 5-6K miles per yr.

Barzten1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing in my Z. 5 gallons on 91 to 2 gallons of 101. Burns cooler and a little insurance cause I beat the crap out of the car. I try to keep 15 gallons of Trick 101 in the garage. I hate those fill-up days.
NewBumper-1.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally run 87 octane when I'm at home in California. It is the lowest of the fuel grades here. I just finished a trip through Utah and Idaho where the lowest grade was 85 and the middle grade was 87. In these states I chose to pay extra to run 87. I was pulling a trailer so I didn;t want to take a chance on the 85. I've never had any issues with 87.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know where you live, but there is station in WestL.A./Brentwood that sells it.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know what the price is.
It's address is:
11699 San Vicente Blvd.
Los Angeles 90049

RandyDenali

Reaction score
My First Post...

I know that this thread is a few days old but as of 9/17/07, fuel costs in Springfield Missouri are as follows...

87 Octane: $2.69
89 Octane: $2.79
91 Octane: $2.89

E85: $2.49

I just bought my 07 Black/Black Denali on Saturday and I have only put about 50 miles on it but I am going to the station tonight to cap off with 87. Our dealer told me that even though 91 is recommended, 87 runs just fine. When the car was filled prior to me buying it, it was filled with 87.

Randy

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Premium vs Regular

While it'll run fine, the computer will dial back the timing to prevent preignition (knock) or detonation (hard on pistons). When the timing is retarded, the hp goes down.