HID Conversion Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where are you guys getting your HID Conversion Kits from? ebay? If so, which vendor was it from and how do you like em?

And to clarify the headlights(hi & low beam) are 9005's, and the fog lights are 880's?

I was thinking of going with a 6000k kit for the headlights and fogs. Do HID kits includes the brights too, or would you have to buy a seperate kit. I imagine most folks only do the driving lights, but just wanna make sure.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where are you guys getting your HID Conversion Kits from? ebay? If so, which vendor was it from and how do you like em?

And to clarify the headlights(hi & low beam) are 9005's, and the fog lights are 880's?

I was thinking of going with a 6000k kit for the headlights and fogs. Do HID kits includes the brights too, or would you have to buy a seperate kit. I imagine most folks only do the driving lights, but just wanna make sure.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Yeah you have your numbers right,everything is seperate ballasts and bulbs so if you did eveything thats six ballasts six bulbs,I would recommend if you do the fogs to keep them high and dry you will have to extend the wiring,and they might melt the housing that stock bulb is vey low watt and stays cool.
Trust me from experience,HIDS are a pain I would keep the limit low.Depending on what you like,6000k is almost white if you want that blueish look 8000k is the way to go.http://www.highintensityxenon.com/products/index.php

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you have your numbers right,everything is seperate ballasts and bulbs so if you did eveything thats six ballasts six bulbs,I would recommend if you do the fogs to keep them high and dry you will have to extend the wiring,and they might melt the housing that stock bulb is vey low watt and stays cool.
Trust me from experience,HIDS are a pain I would keep the limit low.Depending on what you like,6000k is almost white if you want that blueish look 8000k is the way to go.http://www.highintensityxenon.com/products/index.php

Thanks for the link Whipple! :thumbsup: Nice looking kit, and Lifetime Warranty is good too. Have you dealt w/ that company before?

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Whipple! :thumbsup: Nice looking kit, and Lifetime Warranty is good too. Have you dealt w/ that company before?

Yeah I have them in the Denali,and I have a 07 Jeep SRT-8 with them its a nice kit for the money,Im going on 2 years with no problems,One thing is if you get them that I had to plug them in upside down they have the polarity crossed:confused: I was baffled when I first tryed and had nothing,I would try plugging them straight first if you get nothing flip the plug 180 degrees dont worry it still fits fine.If your not sure ,you take your factory plug to the ballast ,then from the ballast has leads to the hid bulb.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have them in the Denali,and I have a 07 Jeep SRT-8 with them its a nice kit for the money,Im going on 2 years with no problems,One thing is if you get them that I had to plug them in upside down they have the polarity crossed:confused: I was baffled when I first tryed and had nothing,I would try plugging them straight first if you get nothing flip the plug 180 degrees dont worry it still fits fine.If your not sure ,you take your factory plug to the ballast ,then from the ballast has leads to the hid bulb.

Ah okay. My LED tails were the same way, had to flip em around to get em to work. And I blew a bunch of fuses in the process. The $80 ebay kits are tempting, but you get what you pay for.

How/where did you mount the ballasts?

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah okay. My LED tails were the same way, had to flip em around to get em to work. And I blew a bunch of fuses in the process. The $80 ebay kits are tempting, but you get what you pay for.

Is a little hard to explain where to mount the ballasts,I will take a pic tomorrow it so much easier,and there mounted with plasic tie wraps and double stick tape.I have a perfect spot:clapping:

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a little hard to explain where to mount the ballasts,I will take a pic tomorrow it so much easier,and there mounted with plasic tie wraps and double stick tape.I have a perfect spot:clapping:

Awesome! Thanks for the help! :patriot:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The $80 ebay kits are tempting, but you get what you pay for.

Yep. Going cheaper with HIDs is not a good idea. There is a difference. The ballasts mainly. Cheaper built ballasts will cause the bulbs to flicker sometimes because of low tolerance components and the cheap labor used to assemble them. The ballasts aren't as durable, which is important in a high vibration automotive enviroment. Sometimes you may get a weak ballast that won't power up enough on initial turn-on and not produce enough voltage to ignite the bulb. So spend a little more and get a decent system.
I mounted my ballasts behind the light housing. Had just enough room.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the help! :patriot:

Took a couple of pics for ballast location,mount it with doulbe sided tape to hold it then drill 4 small holes one above ,below,and side to side then tie wrap ,its easy access,out of the way and stays dry.I also thew an interior and front shot in.:patriot:
ballast 1.JPG

ballast 2.JPG

incar1.JPG

front.JPG

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a couple of pics for ballast location,mount it with doulbe sided tape to hold it then drill 4 small holes one above ,below,and side to side then tie wrap ,its easy access,out of the way and stays dry.I also thew an interior and front shot in.:patriot:

Thanks for the pics Whipple!!! You da man! Damn your ride is sick! Are those Escalade gauges you've got? I've been eyeing those, definately a future mod of mine. :thumbsup: Oh ya, I like that wood wheel. I found a website that's got some sick black wood stuff for our trucks. So many mods, so little time :willynilly:

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Whipple!!! You da man! Damn your ride is sick! Are those Escalade gauges you've got? I've been eyeing those, definately a future mod of mine. :thumbsup: Oh ya, I like that wood wheel. I found a website that's got some sick black wood stuff for our trucks. So many mods, so little time :willynilly:

Yup those are Escalade guages I changed the whole cluster when I bought the truck,Oh man ,you are dangerous with the mods :eek: I can sit here all day and find a list of stuff I want to install ,these trucks the mods never end,Thats what keeps it from getting boring.I have to do some touch up on my interior the front bezel and center ones are all scratched,Im going to get some Sem paint and recover.Can you send me the link on the black wood ,Im almost afraid to look:smilielol:Thanks

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup those are Escalade guages I changed the whole cluster when I bought the truck,Oh man ,you are dangerous with the mods :eek: I can sit here all day and find a list of stuff I want to install ,these trucks the mods never end,Thats what keeps it from getting boring.I have to do some touch up on my interior the front bezel and center ones are all scratched,Im going to get some Sem paint and recover.Can you send me the link on the black wood ,Im almost afraid to look:smilielol:Thanks

Look if you dare....................:D

My center console is scratched up to. That damn GM texture always rubs off. A nice wood kit would cover that up, oh ya. :rofl:

http://www.autodynamicswest.com/

I like the Carbon fiber these guys have, but the blackwood is classic.

http://www.denaliwood.com/

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason taking pictures of HID headlights doesnt work too well. But for reference....These are on mine. Stock Housings with 6000K low beams. The headlight closest to the camera in these pictures has the color different from what it actually looks like in real life. The actual color (for whatever reason) is best represented in the headlight farthest from the camera. In real life, the headlights look that exact color from all angles. They are pure white white a very,very slight bluish,violetish,purpleish "corona" (for lack of a better term) I hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 23

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple1.....Thanks for the quick response and info on the tailight issue i had after i had no tailights at all because of the the LEDs. I found the fuses you told me about and they were indeed blown (the ones under the hood) so i got it all straight now and went back and bought the LEDs all over again and payed close attention to the wire coloring and this time I nailed it on the first shot. Looks tough now! All red in the back! These are it. I'll post pictures of them on the truck tonight when i get home and take some.

SmokeRedLed.jpg