"Sevice 4X4" message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its just that. I got a 2000 Yukon a few days ago, and already have a "service 4X4" light. The owners manual says there could be a problem with the transfer case. Anyone else ever have this problem? Anyone know what the "problem" couild be? My buddy says it probly just means change the fluid, but there seems like there would be more to it..... Thanks.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to most likely pull the code and then look up the code as it could just be a sensor. You can take to a dealership to do this too.

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Before you buy the part at the dealership.....
If your somewhat comfortable with electronic parts...
I have a friend that had the same problem going on with his tahoe and it would bring up this code fairly random. So we took the switch apart and noticed it had a few loose connections. We resoldered all of the loose ends and it hasn't happened since. I had the same problems on my previous truck, But it was with the windshield wiper motor. I was able to fix it the same.. And my truck actually brought up the "service 4x4" a couple weeks ago but hasn't done it since.. If it does it again, I'm gonna check the part myself..

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I already bought the switch brand new on ebay about a month ago maybe. But Im gonna check out the old swith and see if I can find a problem like you said and re-sell that bi--h and get my money back.