How do I change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMC05Yukon

Reaction score
Soooo........new to the thread and the only thing technical that i do to my yukon is change the oil and lube the chasis....so yeah......i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to change my in-cabin filter....the ac kinda smells a little bit. also i was thinking about changing my brakes to ssb's 14inch rotor upgrade...what do you guys think?

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, I didnt know there was an interior air filter hahaha Maybe someone can chime in to help us out.

USMC05Yukon

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure, because my buddies gmc truck had one.....maybe i'm wrong and thats why nobody is answering........oh well

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
There should be a couple screws on the passenger side underdash panel (9/32 hex). Remove those and the panel. There will be another screw (or two, can't remember), 7/32 hex on the filter change access panel to the left side of the blower motor housing. Remove that screw(s) and you can pull out the access panel. There are two filters in there. The access panel screw(s) maybe hard to see, but it's up there.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that most A/C smell issues originated with mold/mildew on the evaporator coil. Usually, your dealer will offer a service to clean it, but it could cost a couple of Benjamins - call and ask 'em. If you find that it is a cabin air filter issue, let us know!

My '04 Yukon Denali developed "an aroma" after a couple of years, before I became aware of the fix: 1) Get your evaporator cleaned, 2) Run your A/C using outside air (not on re-circulate) OR use your A/C until 5-10 minutes before you arrive, then turn it off (leave the air blowing). Supposedly in the NBS trucks, there is a drying fan to help keep the evaporator coil dry that runs for a few minutes even after the vehicle is off. I dunno -- I never noticed any fan noise....no stink either....

USMC05Yukon

Reaction score
There should be a couple screws on the passenger side underdash panel (9/32 hex). Remove those and the panel. There will be another screw (or two, can't remember), 7/32 hex on the filter change access panel to the left side of the blower motor housing. Remove that screw(s) and you can pull out the access panel. There are two filters in there. The access panel screw(s) maybe hard to see, but it's up there.

sweet thanks a bunch man

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I was under the impression that most A/C smell issues originated with mold/mildew on the evaporator coil. Usually, your dealer will offer a service to clean it, but it could cost a couple of Benjamins - call and ask 'em. If you find that it is a cabin air filter issue, let us know!

My '04 Yukon Denali developed "an aroma" after a couple of years, before I became aware of the fix: 1) Get your evaporator cleaned, 2) Run your A/C using outside air (not on re-circulate) OR use your A/C until 5-10 minutes before you arrive, then turn it off (leave the air blowing). Supposedly in the NBS trucks, there is a drying fan to help keep the evaporator coil dry that runs for a few minutes even after the vehicle is off. I dunno -- I never noticed any fan noise....no stink either....

Nice little bit of info. I'm going to take a look at mine and clean it up. Thanks for the info.
I changed my cabin filters a few months ago. I remember that I started noticing the interior of my truck getting dustier more quickly than normal after cleaning. It wasn't until I realized that the air wasn't coming out of the vents as strong that I thought about the filters. I pulled them out and OMG..... you could hold the filters up to the sun and couldn't see through them!! So needless to say, I changed 'em and the air came through much better and cleaner! I'm sure my lungs appreciated it.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice little bit of info. I'm going to take a look at mine and clean it up. Thanks for the info.

I changed my cabin filters a few months ago. I remember that I started noticing the interior of my truck getting dustier more quickly than normal after cleaning. It wasn't until I realized that the air wasn't coming out of the vents as strong that I thought about the filters. I pulled them out and OMG..... you could hold the filters up to the sun and couldn't see through them!! So needless to say, I changed 'em and the air came through much better and cleaner! I'm sure my lungs appreciated it.

No problem -- I betcha you can clean the evaporator coil yourself (assuming you can get to it) with this stuff, unless you know of a better automotive evaporator coil cleaner. I've used Nu-Calgon Evap Foam for my house A/C coils and it works quite well. You can probably find it on eBay or other online sellers. It even has a nice lemon scent! :)

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for sharing and thats good to know that they actually work.

jneumann

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and thought I would share a great trick for foul smells. Cabin filters need to be changed every 15k miles or so because they fill up with crap and easily get mold on them. Easy fix is to go to the autoparts store and buy two new cabin filters. Spray 1 down really good with Lysol, install, and run your air system. The lysol will clean the air ducts and get rid of any mold/mildew that may have built up in there. Then replace with the other new one and you should be good to go. Store the lysol one and you can reuse anytime you start getting a foul smell coming out of the ducts.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and thought I would share a great trick for foul smells. Cabin filters need to be changed every 15k miles or so because they fill up with crap and easily get mold on them. Easy fix is to go to the autoparts store and buy two new cabin filters. Spray 1 down really good with Lysol, install, and run your air system. The lysol will clean the air ducts and get rid of any mold/mildew that may have built up in there. Then replace with the other new one and you should be good to go. Store the lysol one and you can reuse anytime you start getting a foul smell coming out of the ducts.

1st off, welcome to the forum.
2nd, Great tip. Thanks for sharing the info:thumbsup:

TBeigkahuna

Reaction score
No problem -- I betcha you can clean the evaporator coil yourself (assuming you can get to it) with this stuff, unless you know of a better automotive evaporator coil cleaner. I've used Nu-Calgon Evap Foam for my house A/C coils and it works quite well. You can probably find it on eBay or other online sellers. It even has a nice lemon scent! :)

Is there anyone who can share with me where the evaporator coil is located and what it looks like? A picture, if not asking too much, would be great! Obviously I'm fairly new to this, but I own a 2001 5.3 V8 with 112K and I'm guessing the previous owner never did any of these things. Sounds like a good idea, just need a little assistance. Thanks!