Adding Body Side Moulding (BSM) difficulty and price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hound_dog

Reaction score
My wife and I went into the dealer to see a 2007 4x4 LS (built in early 2006) and she pointed out that it looked naked without the moulding on the side. I agree and since it would be a deal breaker, the sales person said 'we can add that'. I never believe a salesman when a deal is on the line so I'm coming to you experts with the question. Can you buy the moulding prepainted from the parts department (I want it to look factory)? Does it stick on or would it be more invasive like punching holes to allow clips to hold it on? Pricing? I'm sure someone has tried this and I'd appreciate your advice. I've searched the forum but haven't found this answer.

Here's a link to the Tahoe in question without the BSM:
http://john-l-sullivan-chevrolet.ebizautos.com/shared/viewer.aspx?iid=2031090&src=eBay

Subnali

Reaction score
Escalade body side molding

Have the dealer order up '07/'08 Escalade body side moldings! They are stick-on...3-M tape and will add a very simple but tailored look to your Tahoe.

hound_dog

Reaction score
Subnali,
Thanks for the idea...I checked out some photos of the Escalade moulding and I think the chrome will look out of place on a rather plain LS (black plastic handles/mirrors). I guess I'd have to see it to know for sure.

Anyone know if the moudlings come plain black plastic and have to be painted or do they come painted? If anyone has photos to share of adding door mouldings, I'd be interested to see them.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the moudlings come plain black plastic and have to be painted or do they come painted? If anyone has photos to share of adding door mouldings, I'd be interested to see them.

Being in the Collision business I can say it is very rare that anything such as mldgs, mirrors, etc.,come painted from GM. Its not cost effective for them. You're looking at a trip to your local body shop for the refinishing.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being in the Collision business I can say it is very rare that anything such as mldgs, mirrors, etc.,come painted from GM. Its not cost effective for them. You're looking at a trip to your local body shop for the refinishing.

I would agree.. However if they have a good paint shop the install should look like factory when done. Not much to it. Also I looked at mine last night and they look to be a stick on type from the factory. I would call your local dealer and get the parts department and have them look it up. They can tell you real quick it they require any drilling.. I'm guessing that you will find that not be the case and it is 3M tape.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you buy the moulding prepainted from the parts department (I want it to look factory)? Does it stick on or would it be more invasive like punching holes to allow clips to hold it on?

The stock Tahoe molding comes unpainted (cuts down on inventory) and uses body molding tape to attach to truck. I know this because I've had some of mine replaced a couple of times due to non-adherence.

FYI: very little attaches to the body with any holes now on most vehicles.