Ebay intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
I've seen some cheap intakes on ebay with cone style filters. Are there any pro's to these powerwise?

Barzten1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These parts may be ok but I've always thought when you have already spent 30-50k on your vehicle its worth it to spen a little more for quality parts. You usually get what you pay for. Just my opinion.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eBay is good, BUT....

...be aware that buying some name brand aftermarket parts through eBay may render any warranty useless / cost-prohibitive to you. For example, my Volant intake had a small defect from the factory. Had I purchased it from a Volant reseller or whatever, I'd have a cheap way to swap it out, not at my expense. Fortunately, it was no big deal, and I was able to fix the issue myself for $4.00. (Small hole, just epoxied it, no more trouble.) Otherwise it would have been $20.00+ for shipping, time out of the vehicle, blah blah blah. My eBay seller was very good though, so no complaints there; just know what you're getting into before you click that "Buy It Now" button.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...be aware that buying some name brand aftermarket parts through eBay may render any warranty useless / cost-prohibitive to you. For example, my Volant intake had a small defect from the factory. Had I purchased it from a Volant reseller or whatever, I'd have a cheap way to swap it out, not at my expense. Fortunately, it was no big deal, and I was able to fix the issue myself for $4.00. (Small hole, just epoxied it, no more trouble.) Otherwise it would have been $20.00+ for shipping, time out of the vehicle, blah blah blah. My eBay seller was very good though, so no complaints there; just know what you're getting into before you click that "Buy It Now" button.

Actually, aftermarket parts do not automatically void a warranty. The problem comes if you have say and aftermarket intake, and the engine develops a problem. It's only if they can attribute the failure to the aftermarket part that is the problem. When the technician tears into your engine and determines that the failure was caused by the aftermarket intake, you are screwed. But, if you have an aftermarket intake and the transfer case starts having a problem, it would be pretty tough for them to blame the intake. If you are worried about voiding a warranty, just keep the stock parts. If you have to take it in for a repair just put the stock stuff back on. Kind of a pain, but it's worth it.

To answer the OP's question, you will gain performance if you improve the air flow into and out of your engine. You can make your intake as free-flowing as you want, but if you still have a stock exhaust, you will see a very little gain. If you really want to see gains, do the intake as well as the exhaust. Think of it like breathing in with your mouth open, but exhaling through a small straw. You can take in lots of air, but you can't exhale very well. Your engine is kind of like that. It needs to breathe in and out equally well.

Last edited:

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys. It already has a header back exhaust, so I think I'll give it a shot.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allow me to clarify...

Actually, aftermarket parts do not automatically void a warranty....

You misunderstood what I meant. I know it doesn't void your vehicle's warranty and wasn't trying to imply that. Aftermarket parts can make troubleshooting a warrantable issue "interesting", very true. My point was simply that if you have issues with aftermarket the part you buy via eBay, it may be hard to obtain warranty service for that part if you don't buy it through an authorized dealer.

And yes, the better your engine can breathe, the better it will respond when you need/want it to!