Newbie Mech's "How To"- Differential Lube Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up, my name is Kyle. Im writing this "how to" guide for a couple of friends who wanted to know how I did my Diffs. Also for the guys who dont have a lot of "technical skills" (like my-self) when it comes to sevicing and adding mods to your vehicle. I only recently (a year or so) started seviceing and working on my own truck (a Ford Explorer), so its not that difficult.

To start, you should know the manual says to change your diff fluid every 60,000 miles or two years. The front diff holds about 1.5 qts of fluid (mine), book says use 80W-90. And the rear is a little more than 3 (also mine), book says use 75W-90 synthetic. The time frame for this project should be no more than two (2) beers, even for a newb.

Things you will need....
1. Drain pan
2. Gear oil, I used Moble1 synthetic in the rear, and Valvoline synthetic blend in the front.
3. 3/8 ratchet
4. 13mm and 15mm sockets (front diff)
5. A pump of some type (front diff) Autozone has a good one 10$
6. Some shop rags
7. Two beers of your choice
8. Posi-trac gear additive (limited slip diffs)

To make things easy, I also used:
1. Drive up ramps
2. A 5X3 drip pan (no mess)
3. Latex gloves (gear oil is not good for you)
4. floor creeper

PICT0106.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

Procedure:
1. Locate your drain and fill bolts. They are on the same side of the diff.

PICT0103.jpg

2. Remove the fill bolt (top obviously) useing the 15mm socket for the front, or just the 3/8 ratchet drive for the rear.
3. Next your going to move your drain pan in position, Id say a little to the side because the fluid is gonna have some momentum. Remove the drain bolt with the 13mm socket for the front diff, and again just the 3/8 drive for the rear diff. Let the fluid drip for a little while after it done and clean the bolt. The bolt (at least mine) had a magnet on it so if there is metal flakes, clean them off.

PICT0104.jpg

4. Re-install drain bolt, and start filling the diff up. For the front, this is where you will need a pump of some kind. There isnt enough room to get the bottle of gear oil high enough to squirt in. For the rear, you might need to add a tube of posi-trac gear oil additive, its about a 7oz tube for 5$. I dont know about all the Tahoes and Yukons, but a GMC tech told me mine needed it. You can call and ask if in doubt.

PICT0107.jpg

5. The book says to fill the pumpkin (differential gear houseing) up to 5/8 to 1 and 5/8 below the hole. Since it is really hard to measure this gap, I was told by my mechanic friend to fill it up till you feel fluid under the rim with your pinky.
6. Re-install fill bolt, and your set!

Since your down there, you mine as well do both, and maybe even the transfer case. I hope this helps all you guys if you had questions or what ever the case. There was NO squeeling or grinding noises when I was done, everything was fine. This forum seems to be lacking helpful "how to's", so I guess Ill start some. You expereienced guys have anything helpful to add, feel free!

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The time frame for this project should be no more than two (2) beers, even for a newb.

I like to take my time. That way my buddies and I can down at least a 12 pack:)
Really though, nice detailed how-to tip:thumbsup:

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details!

For 2WD models, there is only a rear diff, and it takes 3 QT of 75W90. The two screws are 3/8 square-head. You can just use the ratchet to take it off and on.

No need for the pump on the rear, there's plenty of clearance to squeeze the bottle in. When you get 3QT in, it will probably start overflowing out of the hole.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up, make sure you guys don't overfill the diffs or you will blow the seals out once the fluid gets hot.

Rashonline

Reaction score
HELP! - Oil Changes for Yukon 04 with AWD and Stabilitrac

Hello Kyle,

I have a 2004 Yukon AWD with stabilitrac. Its running 112K Miles now. I had purchased it at 82k miles and now I would like to change the following oils:

Transmission Oil: My Manual says DEXRON III Automatic Transmission Fluid
Transfer Case: My Manual says DEXRON III Automatic Transmission Fluid (for All wheel dtives with Stabilitrac)
Front Axle: SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 12378261) meeting GM Specification 9986115.
Rear Axle: SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 12378261) meeting GM Specification 9986115.
(Attaching snaps from my User Manual) for the above.

I need your help...Particularly on the front and rear axles. Can you please guide me if I can do it myself. My service centre (Not GMC) guy says there is no drain plug and he has to "sort of" open the differentials to drain it besides replacing new gaskets etc... And he wants to charge a lot of money for it. The photographs in your post are not working. Can you please guide me through this process.

Secondly, keeping in mind that this is an AWD, do I really need to go for expensive specified GM Transmission Oil OR can I go to Mobil1 Synthetic 75W90. I really need to be sure before I go for Mobil1

Also, If you can provide me how much oil will I need for both the differentials.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rashid
Indian, Currently in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Attachments

• Yukon 2004.jpg
    Yukon 2004.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: