Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

perm01

Reaction score
I'm going to be picking up a camper that will be 6000#-6500# fully loaded, my Envoy would be maxed out so I'm upgrading. Will a Tahoe/Yukon be fine for that weight or would the Denali be better.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
A Yukon/Tahoe with the 5.3 should have no problems. But the 6.0 motor in the Denali would be even better. Also, lower gears will help, like the 3.73 and 4.10 options.

perm01

Reaction score
The motor is not a big deal to me, but I do like the bigger tranny in the Denali.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
That's right. The M32 tranny is stronger. And I believe you have a trans temp gauge standard as well with the Denali.

perm01

Reaction score
Yeah it does ... my old truck had the gauge and I loved it, never wondered if it was too hot. Will the Denali's suspension handle as much as a Tahoe?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought higher gear ratios are better for towing, i have a 4.10 on my yukon because i tow my boat, i was told i want that because it puts out more torque.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
i thought higher gear ratios are better for towing, i have a 4.10 on my yukon because i tow my boat, i was told i want that because it puts out more torque.

The higher the number, the lower the gearing. For ex. 4.10 is a lower gear than 3.73.

scarpi

Reaction score
I have an 02 Yukon with the 5.3L engine, 4.1 rear end, and all towing options. I have no problem towing a 6500 lb HiLo trailer around the west. I even have the power to pass on some inclines.