Condensation on AC unit inside cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98tahoedude

Reaction score
I just bought a 98 Tahoe last week and yesterday I noticed something dripping from under the dash on the passenger side. I took a closer look and there is all this condesation on the AC unit (condenser, evaporator whatever that black plastic box is behind the glove box). Im guessing there is some sort of drain tube that is supposed to let the condensation drain outside of the cab. Has anybody else had this issue? Any suggestions?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Tahoes have a drain tube, but I would assume they do. About the only time I have seen liquid dripping in that area was when a heater core goes bad. But I supposed that if the housing around the evaporator is cracked or broken, then the condensation from the evaporator can drip inside the cab. Have you looked for any cracks in the housing?

98tahoedude

Reaction score
I don't know if Tahoes have a drain tube, but I would assume they do. About the only time I have seen liquid dripping in that area was when a heater core goes bad. But I supposed that if the housing around the evaporator is cracked or broken, then the condensation from the evaporator can drip inside the cab. Have you looked for any cracks in the housing?

Yea, heater core was my first thought but once I could tell that it was just water and not coolant I knew that wasnt it. I didnt see any cracks but it was dark and I was just looking with a flashlight. Im going to pull out the glove box tonight and try to get a better look.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully there is just a loose drain tube that you can put back in. If the housing is bad, it's a lot of work to replace.

bigrick2179

Reaction score
hey

have same prob with condensation leaking on floor my system is dripping outside the cab fine i live in fl i think it might just be the humidity

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have'nt taken mine apart yet I have no clue. But speaking on a tech side there has to be some sort of drain from the condensor. Look in the passager door jam, passager fender, under the vehicle. it is common for them to get filled up with mud and dirt over the years and clog up.

I tried to look up where it was and didn't have the drain on either michelle or alldata sorry this time guys

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a drain. After driving my Tahoe with the A/C on, there's almost always a puddle of water on the ground under the passenger side, directly under where the A/C unit is located.