Onstar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any way to add Onstar to a hoe not already equipped? and to those who have OS is it worth it?

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I can answer your question but I can answer "Is it worth it?" YES

I think it's worth it - I was in an accident with my '07 Z71 :mad2: (not my fault) but my back seat passenger was somewhat hurt and myself (driver) and wife (passenger) were all shook up. I pressed the emergency OnStar button, they came right on the line, identified where I was, asked if anyone was hurt and I replied yes. Minutes later, two squad cars, three fire trucks and one ambulance later, help was on the scene.

Tahoe damaged somewhat but her 07 Galant (2 weeks old :lol: ) was totaled.

Everyone doing better, just sore and whiplash'ed.

I will definitely renew after trial period, just my .02. Never thought I would need it but glad I had it.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
With much intergration and some dough, you can add On-Star, as well as any other telematics system. But be advised that On-Star is switching over to digital at the beginning of 08, which will render all older analog on-star systems inoperable.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up JK , i always saw OS as kinda Big Brother-ish, but now that i have the chitlins, I think I want to get it

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Onstar is already digital.

On-Star still uses analog for the cellular portion of the system. All vehicles up to 2002 and some 03-04 have the analog based systems. The newer vehicles have dual band, analog/digital hardware, due the the 2002 FCC regulation stating that cellular companies turn off the analog networks and switch to digital at the beginning of 08.
On-Star is a telematics system, which uses GPS based communication as well as cellular, which is currently analog. It was started in 96 GM vehicles based on analog networks because there was not sufficient coverage of digital networks at the time.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So with the tech going digital, does that mean more dough to get it?

01TahoeLT

Reaction score
JK, this is good news. I just bought a 2001 tahoe LT last summer and FINALLY bucked up for the OnStar only to find out that it won't be available in 2008. Bummer! Can you explain "a/d adapter"? What is it, where does it go, where do I get one, and finally, how much $?

Thanks, Mike

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
JK, this is good news. I just bought a 2001 tahoe LT last summer and FINALLY bucked up for the OnStar only to find out that it won't be available in 2008. Bummer! Can you explain "a/d adapter"? What is it, where does it go, where do I get one, and finally, how much $?

Thanks, Mike

Sorry, but i don't have all the details on it except for the fact that there will be an adapter available. When more info is available, I will post what I find.

01TahoeLT

Reaction score
Thanks JK. Here's what I found. Your vehicle has to qualify...not all GM vehicles will be able to upgrade...unfortunately, mine is "analog only". This is what I got from the OnStar site: ( I bolded the important part) This sucks...is this different than what you meant by an a/d adapter?

Your VIN Result
You entered VIN 1GNEK13T7xxxxxxxx

For years, OnStar has relied on the analog cellular network to provide communications to and from vehicles. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ruled that in early 2008, cellular carriers will no longer be required to support the analog cellular network.

As a result, starting January 1, 2008, OnStar service in the United States and Canada will be available only for vehicles that operate on the digital cellular network. This is an analog-only vehicle, with equipment that can only operate on the analog cellular network. Since this vehicle's equipment is analog-only, its OnStar system will not operate on the digital cellular network. This equipment cannot be upgraded to operate on the digital network. This means, in an emergency, despite what the system may indicate, this vehicle will not have a connection. We regret that we will not be able to provide OnStar service to this vehicle after December 31, 2007.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'll have to check my resources again, but I thought for sure I was told an adapter will be available for the analog only systems, not the dual band systems. I'll make a call and see what I can find out.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about onstar. I have the panel thing, but obviously no service. If someone doesnt mind, how much does it cost? Im to lazy right now to look because I just got off work and dont feel like researching it, and Im off to bed? Sorry, this has nothing to do with the origional post.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JK. Here's what I found. Your vehicle has to qualify...not all GM vehicles will be able to upgrade...unfortunately, mine is "analog only". This is what I got from the OnStar site: ( I bolded the important part) This sucks...is this different than what you meant by an a/d adapter?

Your VIN Result
You entered VIN 1GNEK13T7xxxxxxxx

For years, OnStar has relied on the analog cellular network to provide communications to and from vehicles. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ruled that in early 2008, cellular carriers will no longer be required to support the analog cellular network.

As a result, starting January 1, 2008, OnStar service in the United States and Canada will be available only for vehicles that operate on the digital cellular network. This is an analog-only vehicle, with equipment that can only operate on the analog cellular network. Since this vehicle's equipment is analog-only, its OnStar system will not operate on the digital cellular network. This equipment cannot be upgraded to operate on the digital network. This means, in an emergency, despite what the system may indicate, this vehicle will not have a connection. We regret that we will not be able to provide OnStar service to this vehicle after December 31, 2007.
I just checked mine and got the same message. Oh well, wasn't using it anyway - still, it is disappointing to know that I'll be locked out. As far as costs for the upgrade to eligible sytems, the details for that can be found here: http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/adt_upgrade_offer.jsp

I guess this just means I can use the space on the dash for something else!!

since 1964

Reaction score
Newbie here!!!! Hello everyone! I just had to offer some comments about OnStar.

OnStar told me I was OUT of luck trying to get an adapter, or any sort of upgrade and that stinks. I like hitt'n the button when I'm lost, much less the pleasure of using it on trips and such and I have to say that at $420.00 per year it sure is nice.

Like heading West on I80 at about 7PM heading accross Wyo., I requested a room with twin beds for me and my 2 sons and I asked that the hotel be no more than 2 years old with a good restaurant cause we were hungry. 15 min. later I was told what I wanted was 2 more hours up ahead, booked and ready, all I had to do was say OK, and they were dead on. I said my name at the counter, showed an ID, and got room keys, period. I never even had to sign out, they told me just leave the key in the room and we were gone at 6am heading to Montana.

This is why I will miss OnStar, much less, just pulling over and getting directions when I get lost, which I do enough to know I will be missing it alot.

I think I am going to look for an 04 so I can have OnStar again, but my Tahoe has been so good to me I just don't want to part with it.
Oh yeah, you can pay half as much for the basic package that will get you in if you're locked out, and get you help, but no creature comforts like travel plans or reservations while you're traveling which is cool. I like it enough to pay the difference.

chkrdflg01

Reaction score
Hmmm... I'll have to check my resources again, but I thought for sure I was told an adapter will be available for the analog only systems, not the dual band systems. I'll make a call and see what I can find out.

Ever find out if an adapter is available ?:confused2:

biff467

Reaction score
I would definitely agree that onstar is worth it for sure! I haven't been in an accident (knock on wood), but the cool thing about mine that I like is that I can link my verizon phone to my truck so I don't have to touch it at all. It's a nice feature. For the comment above and how much it costs:
For the base package (which is really all you need) is $199 a year.
It includes:
*Onstar satellite phone availability (you still have to buy their sat. phone min.)
*Unlock doors if you lock yourself out
*Flash lights and honk horn if you cannot locate your vehicle in a parking lot
*Vehicle gps location for police if vehicle is stolen
*Automatic Emergency response
*If you witness and accident, you may also push the red cross button to report it for help
*Monthly e-mail notification on the status of your car/truck's performance and if anything needs attention to be fixed
*Many more as well..