Potential Tahoe owner...quick question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapitalis

Reaction score
I'm scouting out this '03 Tahoe, we're taking it for this weekend, and this morning while my wife and I are on our sunday drive, there's this little whistle sound coming from the engine every time it's accelerated from idle speed. very annoying...any comments or concerns I should know about?

tis a beautiful ride though.....

thanks in advance for the feedback!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a previous owner might have installed a throttle body spacer, or modified their air intake. About all that does is produce a whistle from what I hear. Could also be a vacuum leak due to a missing cap / hole in a hose or something more "annoying" to track down. I'd say that if the check engine light isn't on, chances are that it's something straight-forward to fix.

Kapitalis

Reaction score
thanks for the info

since last reply I went to my uncles house and he says something about it possibly having something to do with the tensioner or the accessory belt. The whining sounds seems to be specific to the front left area of the engine...there was no evident sound for the past two days up until this morning and this afternoon. It does continue to scream/whine whether the AC is on or off....but the sound is coming from that region of the engine bay. There is no check engine light coming on.

any additional feedback is much appreciated!

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sound like to me its the power steering pump,left side of the engine compartment,check the fluid level!

gopherpuckfan

Reaction score
I just went through the same thing on my old '95 Crown Victoria. Had the idler pulley and tensioner replaced and the sound went away.