smokin tails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any advice? ive heard of thinning black paint, but is there anything i can do in my driveway?

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually use some Tint-in-a-Can for model cars, that can be found at any hobby shop. I've done lots of cars with it, with very good results. But prepping is the key to a nice finish, make sure you don't cut corners there. Adhesion Promoter is good stuff, big help painting anything plastic. :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the stuff i've used

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=TESR2949

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many coats? did you sand first and with what grit? where would you get the adheasion promoter? Hobby Lobby? thats where i figure to get the model tint thanks!

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many coats? did you sand first and with what grit? where would you get the adheasion promoter? Hobby Lobby? thats where i figure to get the model tint thanks!

Depends on how dark you want em, I would go 3 or 4 tops! And when you do em, do them both at once so the shade matches. You can wet sand before, with a 1000 or 1500. You don't wanna scuff em up too much cause it'll be hazzy. Just clean em with window cleaner, wiping only in one direction, don't wipe back and fourth. And then some sort of wax & grease remover, in same one way wiping motion. Following with the adhesion promoter, it can be found at any Kragens, Pep Boys, etc. Then your desired coats of tint, lay the tint on lightly, to prevent runs. I'd do them laying as flat as possible. The last step is the key, 3-4 coats of clear coat in a spray can. You can go with model paint, but I like Duplicolors Crystal Clear. Mostly because of the spray tip that comes on the can, it sprays in a vertical fan. You can chose to wetsand the clear w/ 2000 grit to remove any imperfections. Or some Clay Bar w/ a spray detailer as a lubricant will do good too. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this to my truck a while back, I followed these instructions: http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutorial:Smoking_Taillights, even though its for a 350z you just follow the same steps. MAKE SURE YOU BUY VHT NITESHADES AND ALSO BUY CLEARCOAT!! CLEARCOAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED!! It prevents it from scratching and chipping. This is how mine came out:
DSCN0421.jpg

Good Luck! :Chevy:

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. do you have any problems with the law? are your lights still clearly visable? its not illegal in TX but i dont want some dumb@$$ to rearend me because they are to dim

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine with nite shades in my drive way.and there pretty dark. though i can still see the lights. i live in TX and have blacked out windows and havent been pulled over yet for either one. passed a trooper today. i also did the third brake light to make it look more uniform.
check it out vv

Attachments

• 10-03-07_121111.JPG
    10-03-07_121111.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 15

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. do you have any problems with the law? are your lights still clearly visable? its not illegal in TX but i dont want some dumb@$$ to rearend me because they are to dim

No, as soon as I press the brakes you can see it just as clear as when it was stock! If you do it and are really worried about it just swap out the stock bulbs with LEDs, I also did that but a month or so later just because I think the LEDs look better not because the stock bulbs werent bright enough. As far as the law a CHP passed me today and didn't even look at me, as long as you they can see your brake lights there is no reason to pull you over.:Chevy:

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine with nite shades in my drive way.and there pretty dark. though i can still see the lights. i live in TX and have blacked out windows and havent been pulled over yet for either one. passed a trooper today. i also did the third brake light to make it look more uniform.
check it out vv

i noticed your WT sticker on the back, i just moved from amarillo to houston (probably coming back after nursing school to go back to NWTHS) never thought id see one of those again, i did a short stint at WT, are you parked in front of Jerrett Hall? i used to live there!