Newbie; I want to paint the plastic.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackHoe04

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a thread on this. i want to paint the side moldings (plastic part) the color of my tahoe..

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I would do if it was me:

1) Either remove the molding (use old credit cards and/or strong fishing line) or mask it off.
2) Rough it up with 600+ grit sandpaper, clean grit with tack free rag and some acetone.
3) Apply Adhesion Promoter (coat per directions on can)
4) The Adhesion Promoter is supposed to be a primer, but optionally you can apply primer that is close to your target color.
5) Wet sand with 800+ sandpaper if you primed it above the adhesion promoter. Clean grit with tack free rag and some acetone.
6) Apply finish coat with OEM paint or OEM Matched paint (3 coats per directions on can)
7) Apply clear coat (3 coats per directions on can).
8) Polish with light polishing compound.
9) Enjoy

I just went thru this to paint my gold front bowtie to match body color. Allocate a long weekend.

Last edited:

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic I manage to already have of the painted tie. Even though you can't tell from this pic, there is a 3M clear bra on the front end which even has a piece over the newly painted bowtie.

paintedtie.jpg

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats pretty much the right way to do it! Unless you wanna fork out the money and have a professional body shop do it!