Clunk sound in the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle A

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new this forum and to Tahoe's. We just got a nice 03 Z71 and when you turn the steering wheel there is hollow clunking sound in the dash somewhere. It doesn't seem to be the steering shaft. Any ideas?

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate steering shaft! Its known to fail on 99-06 sierra/silverados and 00-06 Full Size GM SUV's. Replaceable under warranty. My truck is an 05 and i had it replaced at 15,000 miles.

Lyle A

Reaction score
Would it be recall item? I think I have no warranty. What's the length of Chevy's warranty? I can do it myself if it's an immediate hazard. The steering seems real tight at the moment.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im, not sure if its a recall, but my dads 01 silverado had 65K miles and out of warranty when he took his in and they still replaced it for free. Im not sure if they'll do it all the time but maybe my dad lucked out. between him and myself we've bought 4 new rides from them over the years and the service guys know us well

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a 2002 Yukon I bought used - I was the third owner - 87000 miles. The local GMC dealer repaired it for free- there was a recall from GM. It is a WARRANTY repair - they'll replace the intermediate steering shaft and all will be good as new! Good luck