Humming Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhortonvt

Reaction score
I just bought an '01 Denali, and if I turn the key to the 'On' position I get this Humming/Vibrating from the headliner just to the left of my head, in the area of the little speaker-which I believe is for the Onstar system.

I don't always hear it when the vehicle is running but I think it's just because of the ambient noise.

It sounds like a little fan running-poorly. If I press on the headliner or speaker it changes the pitch.

BTW I do NOT think its associated with the rear passenger climate controls, as I can adjust that fan speed with no affect on speed or pitch of the vibration.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
There is a small fan behind the grille in the headliner that draws in the air from the interior to a temp sending unit. You may have to replace the fan/assembly with a new one.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an '01 Denali, and if I turn the key to the 'On' position I get this Humming/Vibrating from the headliner just to the left of my head, in the area of the little speaker-which I believe is for the Onstar system.

I don't always hear it when the vehicle is running but I think it's just because of the ambient noise.

It sounds like a little fan running-poorly. If I press on the headliner or speaker it changes the pitch.

BTW I do NOT think its associated with the rear passenger climate controls, as I can adjust that fan speed with no affect on speed or pitch of the vibration.
I have that same sound that comes from mine,its not there all the time,I thought that was onstar also,I guess I will be changeing that fan too.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
FYI: You have to remove the sensor from the backside of the headliner, not from the front. The part should only be about $7 or so.

1.Remove the left a-pillar trim (the trim along the inside of the windshield. It is held in place with clips).
2.Remove the left center pillar trim.
3.Remove the left center pillar assist handle.
4.Remove the left sunshade.
5.Remove the retaining screws from the headliner.
6.Gently pull down the headliner.
7.Disconnect the electrical connector from the inside air temperature sensor.
8.Remove the inside air temperature sensor from the headliner.

jhortonvt

Reaction score
Well I shopped around and the best price I could find was $27 from a parts store (GMC dealer wanted $46).

JK where did you get that price of $7?

jhortonvt

Reaction score
Good news, for now. I got access to the 'inside ambient air temperature sensor'-thank you JK for the instructions. :thumbsup:

When I disconnected the fan and it's housing from the grill housing it didn't hum anymore. So I blew all the dust off with compressed air, adjusted the little sensor so it wouldn't come in contact with the fan, then placed the housings back together. It seems to be fine. If it comes back I'll replace it, but I think I just saved myself 30 bucks.:clapping:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Good news, for now. I got access to the 'inside ambient air temperature sensor'-thank you JK for the instructions. :thumbsup:

When I disconnected the fan and it's housing from the grill housing it didn't hum anymore. So I blew all the dust off with compressed air, adjusted the little sensor so it wouldn't come in contact with the fan, then placed the housings back together. It seems to be fine. If it comes back I'll replace it, but I think I just saved myself 30 bucks.:clapping:

Cool. Nice job. I'm sure that little tip will help other people save money too!