shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any way to tell if the shocks on my tahoe are getting to where they need to be replaced other than taking it into the shop? it seems like i can feel all the little bumps and dips when driving and that it should be a smoother ride. thanks for your help.

TBeigkahuna

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I am without a doubt a novice when it comes to vehicles, but my dream car has always been a tahoe and now that I own one, I figure it's time to get to know it really well. One of my biggest gripes presently is that every little bump or imperfection in the road that I encounter makes me feel like my ride is going to fall apart...I'm wondering if the shocks need replaced..and if so, some suggestions on which way to go in terms of brand name and type...any help would be awesome.

BTW, this is my first post in the forum :clapping:

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had just taken mine in to a midas to get my oil changed and had them check the shocks as well. just like you said i could feel all the bumps in the road and the shocks ended up being bad. they showed me when it was on the lift and they were black from all the grease so you may want to check out and see if they look like that. also midas checked them for free with an oil change.

Redwood

Reaction score
shocking news

Hi Folks,
I'm new here to the Tahoe forum, but not new to cars. In my humble experience, it is hard to tell if a shock absorber is ok or not, without taking it off the vehicle. A gas shock may have leaked its gas and you can't tell. An oil shock may have a tell tale stain on it. Even bounce testing on the bumper doesn't always work. Get the shock off and try to compress it. Then try the same test with a new shock, you will see what I mean.
My 1999 Tahoe rode really harsh and was no fun to ride in on a bumpy road. I changed all 4 shocks this week. Back pair was totally blown. The ride was still BAD. Today, I got rid of the 31 x 10.5 x 15 truck tires with 6 ply sidewalls, and put on some stock size P235's....the ride is WAY better. Those sidewalls flex out and really soak up the bumps!
Now all I need is an after market rear sway bar, and new sway bar bushings up front and I'll be set to cruise in comfort.
Take it easy,
Redwood:cya:

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tires!....quick way (other than to visually inspect for leakis on the shocks) is to run your hand accross the tread of the tire! Good shocks will wear the tires even and leven and smooth! Worn shocks leave the tires jaggedy and uneven!