stock speaker replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i have an 01 LT with the factory cd stereo and speakers and am looking to replace the speakers and the head unit but was looking for some suggestions and a point in the right direction. im am still debating about putting a small sub like a 10, the determining factor would be because of space, i have the 3rd seat and fold the 2nd row seats down so i really wouldn't want to put it under the seat but is there a factory enclosure i could use to put a sub in? for the speakers im not looking for the most expensive but i guess the most bang for my buck so to say, i want something that is going to have nice clear sound that delivers good bass (listen to hip hop/rap) without getting distorted. would there be any set up/brands/series of speakers that i should check out? the last thing is that im not sure how many factory speakers and the sizes of them to replace so that info would be great. if you cant tell im not very familiar to the a/v world so if there is any other info you think i should need it would be appreciated. thanks for all the help and suggestions. :thumbsup:

oh2tahoe

Reaction score
I have polk components, cant remember which model number, but in the front and back doors running off a 4 channel kicker amp. The sound quality is amazing for what i paid for a paid. 239 a pair :thumbsup: . I also have a pioneer 5700dvd and i think thats an amazing combo for the price. I listen to all types of music and get NO distortion.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok good deal ill have to check out polk when i go to the a/v shop today. i would love to have a dvd set up but for the $6-700 difference in price from a regular HU im having a little trouble justifying it. the main thing i would use it for would be to have a touchscreen a play music videos.

no im not in the USCG..i am in KS, no water except lakes around here lol

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
... is there a factory enclosure i could use to put a sub in? the last thing is that im not sure how many factory speakers and the sizes of them to replace so that info would be great. :thumbsup:

You can install an aftermarket 8" sub in the factory location in the rear left panel. Or you can 'glass a sub enclosure to fit a 10" sub.
The factory speakers are 6 1/2" in all four doors. I would go with a nice set of components in the front doors with a set of 2-way coaxs in the rear powered by a 4-ch amp. Then power either an 8" or 10" sub in a sealed enclosure with a mono amp, depending on your budget.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jk..thanks that is exactly the point in the right direction i needed. one other question tho..would it be possible to replace the speakers with the stock head unit for the time being or would that not be possible or just a waste? the reason being is that i would really like to get a dvd monitor in the dash which is not quite in the budget and i dont really want to get a regular HU and then have to take it out 3-4 mo out the road to replace.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
jk..thanks that is exactly the point in the right direction i needed. one other question tho..would it be possible to replace the speakers with the stock head unit for the time being or would that not be possible or just a waste? the reason being is that i would really like to get a dvd monitor in the dash which is not quite in the budget and i dont really want to get a regular HU and then have to take it out 3-4 mo out the road to replace.

You'll have no issues if you just want to replace the stock speakers for now. Even just doing that will make an improvement in sound quality. If you plan on amplifying the speakers later on, just keep that in mind when you are choosing your speakers, be sure to get a set that will handle the amount of power you plan on throwing them. Look for RMS rating, rather than peak watts, in both speakers and amplifiers. The RMS rating is the continous rating of the product over a given period of time.
For example; A speaker with 75W RMS and 150W max can handle 75 watts of clean power all day long without damage, and 150 watts for a very brief moment before possible electrical or mechanical failure.
Using the same figures above for amps, the amp can deliver 75 watts of continous power to the speakers and 150 watts for only brief moments during peaks in the music selection.
Also while shopping, look for products that carry the CEA stamp somewhere on the box. That will ensure that the power ratings are tested within CEA standards and not overrated like flea market brands.