Hey i am new and i got a lot queations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z28man

Reaction score
First off o have a 1997 Tahoe LT 4 door 4x4. And i am looking to get some new rims and tires for it before the winter sets in. I am looking to go to 15's and i was wondering would 31's or 32's fit under the stock ride height of it? :confused: And would there be any problems with going to 15's... I would most likely get some BF's on it and not sure on rims yet. I am looking to lift it sometime after winter to give it some better clearance. Oh is there some way to let the rear two windows to go the entire way down??? Now they don't go that far down maybe a 1/3 way down and i would like them to go the entire way down...

Anyway here are some pics of my Tahoe and a pic of my Z28. :D

DSC_1028.jpg

Oh and yeah that running board is messed up.... the old owner messed it up... i am thinking of replacing them both with something different.
DSC_1026.jpg

DSC_1024.jpg

The Z28
DSC_0821.jpg

DSC_0820.jpg

BTW i am sorry about all the questions. Thanks in advanced. :cool2: :Chevy:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the window goes I am afraid your out of luck. GM decided that they did not want to split the rear windows to compensate for the wheel well, by doing this it gives the Tahoe a cleaner look, but unfortunately the windows wont be able to go down past 1/3rd, unless you find someone willing to split them for you. In my opinion split windows look ugly but it is up to you. Welcome to the site, and if you treat er' right your Tahoe will last you well past 150,000 miles with no major problems! :Chevy:

95Z28man

Reaction score
Damn that sucks... oh well..... Thanks for the help. And as far as the bolt pattern i have read they were 6 bolt on 139's but is there anther number for the size?? :confused: I have seen 135's....

Sorry i am new to the truck world... lol i am used to camaro's

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks... oh well..... Thanks for the help. And as far as the bolt pattern i have read they were 6 bolt on 139's but is there anther number for the size?? :confused: I have seen 135's....

Sorry i am new to the truck world... lol i am used to camaro's

Bolt pattern is 6 on 139.7mm. I don't see why 15's wouldn't work, as long as they clear the brake calipers. But the offset will probably be wrong. Make sure you test fit them before you buy them.

Here is a handy website for wheel fittment questions:
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

95Z28man

Reaction score
Thanks i saw that on anther thread. And i was on JC Whitney's site and they called the bolt pattern 6 on 5.5. Is that right?

And what size tire would be safe to go with on my Tahoe with stock ride height? 30's, 31's???

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks i saw that on anther thread. And i was on JC Whitney's site and they called the bolt pattern 6 on 5.5. Is that right?

And what size tire would be safe to go with on my Tahoe with stock ride height? 30's, 31's???

From everything I have read, the biggest tire you can run with stock height and no rubbing is 285/75r16.

Yes, 6 on 5.5 inches is the same as 6 on 139.7mm.

95Z28man

Reaction score
From everything I have read, the biggest tire you can run with stock height and no rubbing is 285/75r16.

Yes, 6 on 5.5 inches is the same as 6 on 139.7mm.

Thanks a lot for your help you answered my questions. :thumbsup:

And after looking around and everything i found out if i go down to a 15" rim i can fit 30's safely 31's are a little to close. So thanks a lot for the help. Now it get the cash to do this... :eek:

95Z28man

Reaction score
Ok my Tahoe has the CD player below the radio and it wont work... :confused: I had tried cleaning it with compressed air and a cleaning CD... nothing works.. So is it shot? If so i am not sure what to replace it with just a regular one but i think it would look weird..... or should i just get a CD changer and put that on the AUX.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my Tahoe has the CD player below the radio and it wont work... :confused: I had tried cleaning it with compressed air and a cleaning CD... nothing works.. So is it shot? If so i am not sure what to replace it with just a regular one but i think it would look weird..... or should i just get a CD changer and put that on the AUX.

When mine died, I just replace the head unit with an aftermarket CD player. I left the remote CD player where it is. I have had a few people ask me if I have two CD players, but it looks better than a hole in the dash. Or you can buy the pocket that goes where the CD player is mounted. I just didn't want to spend the money on something I really won't use. It doesn't really look bad to me, I kind of forgot it was there.

dashpic.jpg

Last edited:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did the same as Mike, but I added an In-Dash DVD. I did it because my Radio was acting the same as yours, and my stereo guy looked at it and said that it was shot, but it might be different for you.
DSCN0435.jpg

95Z28man

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found a few remote units on e-bay for sale for cheap. So i might just buy one of them and hope it works for me. If not there is always doing it the same way you guys did it. Yeah mine got the Delco unit with cass. CD and radio.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know OLD THREAD but does anybody have a link to the cd pocket I want to take my cd player out

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my Auto teacher has 15's on his tahoe. and if i remember right i do believe that he has 32/10.5/15 for the tire size. i know for sure that they are at least 31/9.5/15.

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get the pocket to take the CD player out from Chevy for around $15. i put the pocket in after i installed a new deck in mine.

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry i dont have the Part #. but if you call your cheve dealer and ask for the pocket to go in the place of the CD player in my 19** Tahoe they will know what your talking about.

Bmanies

Reaction score
I had 285 75 16 on mine when it was stock I also raised the torsion bars and got about an 1 1/2" of lift on the front end, and 1 inch blocks in the back. It gave it a better stance for cheap until I could finally put 6" on it.