help, truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JC150

Reaction score
battery seems to be fine, when i turn the key all i hear is a clicking sound. do you think it's my altenator or starter that can be bad?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could be a lot of thing your starter or starter cylinoid(sp!), battery cables corroded . buy my bet is the starter, if you still have warrenty it does not matter, but if your doing the work your self, i would trouble shoot with the cheapest, starter is going to be the most expensive. dont think its the alternator, becase even if it was out with a good battery you could still crank i think. At least i could with the 1991 suburban i fixed at the shop.

zipperman19

Reaction score
It sounds like the battery. Are you sure its good? It may have 12v and seem okay, but you still need those Cranking Amps. Sometimes a battery is so bad, the car has trouble being jump started!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the battery. Are you sure its good? It may have 12v and seem okay, but you still need those Cranking Amps. Sometimes a battery is so bad, the car has trouble being jump started!

now that i think of it , i remember our garden tractor, did everything to it new starter new silinoid, and new battery, it cranked but wouldn't crank twice, volt metered the battery it said 12 volts, but there was no power, hooked up a jumper pack and BAM started right up, try hooking up a jumper pack. turns out they gave me a dud battery

JC150

Reaction score
whew...i told the dealership from where i brought the truck from about what happened. they told me to get the battery test and if it was bad they'd rememburse me in full. sure enough, i take it to auto zone and it had one bad cell. i upgraded w/ a new one which cost me $80 plus tax, took the receipt back to the dealership and gotta check cut out:clapping: i'm glad it wasn't anything worse. this arizona heat will suck out the life outta a battery quick