Removing body mouldings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
I have a 95 and I think the black body trim that goes on the doors and rear fender are ugly. I would like to pull it off, but I'm not sure how it is held in place. Is it glued on like most cars? Any tricks for pulling it off?

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
They are glued on. I'm not going to mess with it. I started doing the rear ones, but it pulled some of the clear coat off. I stuck it back on with some rc servo tape.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can provide pictures of mine.. I have a 97 Yukon SLT.. I took ALL the trim off, as well as the crome fender well pieces. I used an eraser wheel, and my clear coat and paint are in A+ shape still... =) (took a while.. but looks 10x better)

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
If you could snap some pics that might remotivate me. Did you just peel them off then use the wheel?

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are in the process of selling our house, so I may not get to pictures right away, but I will get a few snapped and posted for you before long. I peeled off the trim, it was held on top and bottom with about a 1/2" piece of adhesive. I took an eraser wheel in a cordless drill and went to town on it, being careful not to let it get too hot, move it around often, etc. I went back over it with a very soft cloth (like a polishing cloth) and goo gone, just to get any debris or adhesive off. Now it looks great, I even took the "SLT" emblems on the pillars right behind the back doors.

Ok... I took off every GMC and Yukon emblem on the thing.. only one I am working on a cover for is the front grill, I am going to create a rounded rectangle out of carbon fiber to cover it up also.

Sad part about all of this? I have that smokey caramel colored Yukon and dislike the color.

kastiron

Reaction score
I somehow lost the TAHOE emblem on my passenger door. Any chance one of you that are removing yours would sell me one?

I prefer mine to stay looking stock. Just the way I roll I guess. :D

jetfxr27

Reaction score
Yeah Pics please! Where did you get the eraser wheel.
As far as a new emblem , go to LMC truck .com.
They have everysingle interior and exterior piece you can think of. As well as a lot of drive train stuff. Website is very easy to navigate and they will send you a book.

Jason_Ridgeway

Reaction score
you can get that eraser wheel anywhere they sell paint and supplies.I just removed all my emblems and molding also!:thumbsup:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the mouldings are stuck on with glue, you just need to heat it up and carefully remove, I used a putty knife on my emblems, as far as taking them off I wouldn't recomend it, although it does look better it takes away your protection from the A-Holes in the parking lots that open their doors onto your car. Thus leaving nice little dents all around. Good Luck :Chevy:

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the mouldings (I think) age the truck, and make it look older than what it is. Look at the newer ones, at least if you are going to put on mouldings, make them match the paint, and blend in. Regardless, I have had many compliments since I took all mine off, on how 'clean' the truck looks.. I was annoyed even more with the chrome pieces on the wheel wells.. I am working on taking bumpers off next, and will flat black them. I wish mine wasn't that smokey caramel... still just looks 'blah' in my opinion.

bussoli86

Reaction score
the thing ive found with taking off the mouldings, is that the paint beneath the mouldings havent been faded by the sun and stands out more then the rest of the paint job, especially on these older vehicles, with origonal paint jobs. Hopefully you dont run into this problem.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine you can't tell at all.. even when looking for it. Again I was lucky to find a 1 owner Yukon that was used as a tow vehicle for a 24ft enclosed trailer w/ race car.. so the suspension, transmission and engine were an issue.. but the body has stayed in great shape, he must have waxed it and cared for it pretty well.

jetfxr27

Reaction score
PICS PICS!
I really want remove mouldings. However being more exposed to A-holes and there doors in the parking lot is a concern. I too removed my wheel well chrome moldings and that cleaned it up a lot. One technique you could try is Fishing line. Move it back and forth behind the molding while pulling back. The nylon fishing line shouldnt do any extra damage to the paint.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PICS PICS! One technique you could try is Fishing line.

I'll get pix this weekend while I work on the suspension. Also the fishing line trick isn't necessary for this application. At least in the couple cars/trucks I've done this to with the GM Double sided adhesive (it is a thick tape with a foam-like component to it), the adhesive doesn't come clean off the paint w/o either that eraser wheel and/or goo gone. I tried heat, as well as the fishing line and other small tricks I had read from reputable refinishing shops. Sorry for the pics delay.. but I'll get 'em posted!

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
Just rip off what you don't want and whatever sticky residue is left use Xenia Citrus Cleaner...it's made by Stoner...awesome stuff...used it on removing all the trim on a 99 and the clear coat was perfect and it was easy and fast.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of my (dirty dirty) Yukon, with the body mouldings removed, all badges removed, [see 2nd picture, back cargo doors, and the SLT badging behind back side doors], and chrome fender surrounds, The front grill is in process.. I am currently working on a carbon fiber overlay that will cover the "GMC" so you won't see that emblem either, just a rounded rectangle of carbon fiber, with my "Motorsports" part of the logo on it.

Enjoy, and again sorry for the filthy yuck-n.

yukon02.jpg

yukon04.jpg

yukon06.jpg

yukon07.jpg

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
Dude everything you possibly need is right here on this site...I'm a detailer full time for a Chevy dealership. This is the best place I order my everything from to do my tahoe. Quality cleaners and glue removers. www.eastwood.com

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does that place do accounts and give any discount by the dealership you work at? and if you know do they do it by amount purchased?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the molding off my 96 2door (black strips). leave it in the sun a few hours and the mouldings peel right off. take your thumb and literally roll off the doube sided tape (if this applies to you) worked the same with the TAHOE emblem on the tail gate.

With the lift all the a-holes' doors hit my running boards anyway. =)