Throttle Body Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhortonvt

Reaction score
I have a '01 Denali with a rough idle when cold, seems ok when warm.

I've seen a few comments about cleaning the throttle body to remedy this. I've never done that. Can someone hit me with those oh so helpful tips that make these boards a goldmine of info? :confused2:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Grab a can of throttle body cleaner from your local auto parts store. Make sure it is for throttle bodies and not just carbs. The difference is that the throttle body cleaner is much safer for the sensors (TPS, IAC, etc) than carburetor cleaner.
Remove the air cleaner assembly to gain access to the throttle body (TB).
Spray the inside of the TB in front of the butterfly (throttle plate) and on the butterfly plate. There should also be a small air bypass passage in the upper left hand corner of the TB bore. Spray around there also.
Wipe with a clean, lint free cloth. Then you can spray some cleaner on the rag, manually and slowly open the throttle plate, then wipe the edges and the backside of the plate.
Remember to re-install the air cleaner assembly before starting the engine.

Any buildup around the edges of the plate or in the bypass passage can lead to a rough or uneven idle, especially at initial start-ups.

elkfeva

Reaction score
i have 02 yukon XL... same thing.. only at warm up. I will clean butterfly this weekend and post results.

You know what GMshould do? A 1 ton Yukon/Suburban with the duramax.... dude with the Allison? ya

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya.. I dont' have the need for it anymore.. But man it would be nice.. all that cargo room yanking around a loaded 24ft trailer! Makes since to me!