All terrain tire clearance question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SneakersO'toole

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to the Tahoe forums and i've got a question.

I own a 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 2dr 2wheel drive LS model...my current tire size is 235 /75-15 my question is if i buy an all terrain tire to fit my vehicle what is the largest tire in inches/width and such i can fit without having them rub?

im going to have my front end aligned and lifted slightly to where its even with my rear height of the truck...

let me know if you guys need any more information.

Thanks. :cya:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can run at least 30s on there without rub after the leveling kit, not sure about width though. If you are looking for tires go with Toyo Open Country A/T they are the BEST All terrain tires out there and will last you a LOOONG time! Good Luck, and welcome to the site! :Chevy:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
315 70 17 will fit and only rub slightly under full turn in reverse over a bump.

u will have to find some1 special to mount the tires if u have stock rims because the 315s are not supposed to go on a 7.5" wide rim. minimum is 8" for these tires. they will fit safely and pretty easily despite what most tire stores will tell u. try to talk them into it and keep asking around, some1 will mount them for u. they just don't want to get sued if u go slide into a tree stump and rip the tire off the rim causing your vehicle to flip and injure some1.

i suggest 285/70/17 if u want a little meatier than stock but absolutely no rubbing unless u completely bottom out the suspension. also, be sure u don't get 75 profile b/c is looks too tall IMO, and it will rub as opposed the the 70 profile.

if u want to better flotation for mud or sand, go with the 305/65/17 (also known as 33x12.50/17) these tires are just as wide and not as tall or heavy as the 315/70/17 (also known as 35x12.50/17) my buddy runs 315/70/17 bfg all terrains on stock denali rims on a 2 wheel drive 2002 denali without rubbing noticeably. also, another friend runs the same size but BFG mud terrain on a 2001 z71 with slightly more rub, but only when u turn the wheel ALL the way and compress the suspension. this could easily be corrected with some grinding on the frame for clearance. hell u could probably fit bigger than 35 if u crank the torsion bars all the way and notch the frame properly.

u will never notice the slight rub with 315/70/17 all terrain tires so long as u don't have wider rims than 8" and u do have the torsion bars raised up a bit from stock.

jetfxr27

Reaction score
285 AT REVO on mine. BIG bumps causes tire to eat into fender.