97 Yukon noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vali

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I have a 97 Yukon and it just recently stated to make this loud and annoying sound when I drive about 30 - 40 mph. I pulled over immediately and checked underneath the Yukon to see if anything was stuck..nothing. I turned on the ENGINE and pressed on the accelerator WHILE I was in (P)ark just to check if the sound comes back and it didn't. I only hear the sound when I am driving. ONLY when I am driving I hear the sound and feel a little Vibration coming from underneath the YUKON. Other than that it runs smoothly before the 30-40 mph. Steering feels fine. ANY SUGGESTIONS?:mad2:

...........I just went out side to take a look under the YUKON after THE RAIN. I just started to look around to see if anything was loose, missing, or broke. I took a couple of photos of this part that I turned with my hand and I heard the sound that I hear when I am driving, JUST not as LOUD! Any Suggestion ?

Last edited:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the front driveshaft? If it makes a clanking noise then the u-joint is probably bad. There should be no play in it when you get under there and try to move it around. If there is play in it, you need to replace the u-joint.

vali

Reaction score
97 yukon

Are you talking about the front driveshaft? If it makes a clanking noise then the u-joint is probably bad. There should be no play in it when you get under there and try to move it around. If there is play in it, you need to replace the u-joint.

When I am under the Yukon, I grab the bar part "the Circular" part the long bar about 2-4 feet long, and twist it in a circular motion.

INHUMANITY

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm dealing with the same problem.

I creating a large thread about it on my forum.

Some people were saying u-joints, but when I took it to a mechanic he was saying it might me the torque converter.

After driving my Yukon for a couple of months I've found that the problem ONLY happens in 4th gear in lower RPM's. If I drop into 3rd the problem goes away.

TransGo even has a kit to fix the problem that afflicts our cars and our trannies.

Quote from TransGo's site:
Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: 2nd clutch failure; 1-2 slide-bump; late or no upshift; lockup shudder; kickdown bang; soft shifts when hot; accumulator leaks; 3rd clutch seal failure.

The shudder describes my problem perfectly. How about you?

You can read the lengthy discussion here:
http://www.3rdgen.org/bb/showthread.php?t=41355

I have yet to do anything about it as my schedule makes it impossible.

I drove to LA from Nor. Cal over five times last month without any further problems, but I'm probably just lucky. :)