Tahoe newbie saying Hello

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blacksheep

Reaction score
Hey gang - I picked up a 2000 Tahoe SLT on Friday night to pull my little mitsubishi together when I get it back together (probably next year).

Its a 2000 Black LT with 97K on the clock. Has a lot of options or seems like it as I don't know what came stock and what didnt. Rear air and audio controls, 3rd row seating, onstar etc...

First mod planned is tinting front windows and remote start for the winter. After that, get a decent CD player, some speakers, amps and subs.

Also, I want to eliminate all the chrome on it (lot on the doors, will post pics) and debadge the full truck as well as maybe get some black 20's for the summer - I want to make the whole hoe look all mean and black.:rofl:

Doors seem to creek and click (when you open them, like the hinge is bad). I will grease them all ASAP. Brake pedal squeaks too.

Anything I should look for maintainence wise? I got an extended warranty on it as I am not used to working on domestics and I figure it will come in handy if the tranny or something else goes south...

I was warned interior is full of rattles and creeks and mine isnt so bad unless on bumpy roads - Is there anything y'all do to eliminate this. Buddy says once I take it apart for stereo install, it will get worse.

I guess I did more than just say hello. Cannot wait to learn from everyone.

Thanks and drive safe!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
...Anything I should look for maintainence wise? I got an extended warranty on it as I am not used to working on domestics and I figure it will come in handy if the tranny or something else goes south...

I was warned interior is full of rattles and creeks and mine isnt so bad unless on bumpy roads - Is there anything y'all do to eliminate this. Buddy says once I take it apart for stereo install, it will get worse.

I guess I did more than just say hello. Cannot wait to learn from everyone.

Thanks and drive safe!

Welcome! Glad to see more and more people joining. You should be able to learn a lot from this site. There's a wealth of information available.
Here's a list of some things I would look into and/or change with your newly acquired vehicle:
Fuel filter
Engine oil/filter
Transmission fluid/filter
Air cleaner
Brakes pads/shoes
Diff fluid level

Don't worry about making rattles worse by disassebling your vehicle for an audio upgrade. If anything, you can make it better while it is apart by adding thin felt strips around the clips that hold in the trim. You can also add sound deadening material such as Dynamat and Accumat on the inner door panels while they are apart for new speakers. This will help some with rattles and road noise, as well as add a more solid feel to panels and doors.

blacksheep

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, JK.

I will definitely change fluids. Do they sell factory service manuals online for these? Comes in handy, thats for sure!

Intake wise - I am hoping to get a volant CAI system as everyone says its the best. I think my hoe has a magnaflow exhaust.

The prior owners must have been old added lot of cheapo chrome stuff to the doors on the outside and I am wanting my tahoe to look clean - Can I remove all the molding and strips etc - Is it glued on with 3M tape or have holes behind them? I will get pics tomorrow and post.

Where can I get felt to add? Thats a great idea! I generally dynamat all my cars and the tahoe will get a lot of it for sure.

Since you are a stereo guy - If I replace my CD player, will it eliminate rear audio controls on the console?

Thanks!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, JK.

I will definitely change fluids. Do they sell factory service manuals online for these? Comes in handy, thats for sure!

Intake wise - I am hoping to get a volant CAI system as everyone says its the best. I think my hoe has a magnaflow exhaust.

The prior owners must have been old added lot of cheapo chrome stuff to the doors on the outside and I am wanting my tahoe to look clean - Can I remove all the molding and strips etc - Is it glued on with 3M tape or have holes behind them? I will get pics tomorrow and post.

Where can I get felt to add? Thats a great idea! I generally dynamat all my cars and the tahoe will get a lot of it for sure.

Since you are a stereo guy - If I replace my CD player, will it eliminate rear audio controls on the console?

Thanks!

No problem. Always glad to help when I can.
You can get service manuals for our trucks at any auto parts store. If you want the good ones, check out Mitchells repair manuals. You should be able to find these on-line. These and the direct GM service manuals are nice to have, but also cost a pretty penny.

The moulding and badges are taped on. These can be removed with a little bit of elbow grease. Do a search and you will be able to find out different methods that myself and other people have used. If you can't find anything, we'll be glad to explain the process.

For felt, you should be able to find felt-type tape at craft places like Hobby Lobby, Crafts Etc, Michael's, etc.

AND, last but not least... replacing your factory HU with an aftermarket unit will render your rear audio controls inoperative. There is no way for the new unit to communicate with the rear entertainment controls. It's kind of like replacing a family member with a foreigner who speaks a different language.Really:D

Hope you find some of this useful.

jrneyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new here as well but...welcome to the forum!!

blacksheep

Reaction score
Thanks again, JK. I appreciate the info, I figured it rendered rears usless. I am single anyways and my friends can listen to what I want to...:lol: I wonder if I can eliminate that piece in the back as well to make it clean looking on the inside!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks again, JK. I appreciate the info, I figured it rendered rears usless. I am single anyways and my friends can listen to what I want to...:lol: I wonder if I can eliminate that piece in the back as well to make it clean looking on the inside!

See, so you don't need it anyway:)
You can use a piece of clear plexi with a black piece behind it, and engrave the bowtie logo on the clear piece lit up with neon:D

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Can't wait to see the photos of it lookin mean all blacked out!! Since you don't need the rear audio you could even put a little screen back there for your friends! But either way welcome! :Chevy:

blacksheep

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I will get pics tonight of what she looks like stock! :mad: Nasty and cheap chrome I don't like. The expensive wheels etc I can understand and appreciate!

blacksheep

Reaction score
hoe1.jpg

hoe2.jpg

hoe3.jpg

Some pics of the nasty chromeness. Sorry for grainy pics, it was almost 7 when I got home and I was too lazy to bust out the tripod. I Tried using the flash, but the pics were too shiny! :ack:

blacksheep

Reaction score
Yea, that chrome needs to go!! Otherwise great truck!!! :Chevy:

I know - I won't be able to garage her this winter since the car is in the middle all jacked up and gutted out. So, I may have to wait till spring to get this done! :eek:

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my, I didnt even know that made anything that tacky for our hoe! i feel ya on the blacked out look, you going murder 1 (all black, EVERYTHING!) or gonna have some accents still?

blacksheep

Reaction score
Well, I plan on painting my cars top half black and leaving the bottom silver. I kicked around the idea of doing the same to the hoe so they match - although all black is cheaper to do. No accents whatsoever. I want to smoke tailigts and corners as well.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know - I won't be able to garage her this winter since the car is in the middle all jacked up and gutted out. So, I may have to wait till spring to get this done! :eek:

Well at least your fixin her up! Can't wait to see it when it's done! :Chevy: