Catback for Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to install a new exhaust system on my '02 Yukon without breaking the bank or getting too 'loud.' Some years ago I installed a Borla catback on a '98 Suburban - it improved power and fuel economy but it resonated in the driver's seat to an annoying degree - plus it was around $700 then (stainless single pipe.)

I'd like to do something for $300 or less that improves breathing, gives a nice 'rumble' without being loud, and includes installation for that price. I see that Meineke sells 'Vortex' - can't get much from the local Midas dealer. I could order one and have it installed, but it's tough for me to receive one where I live. I'd rather just take it somewhere and have it done.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2002 Yukon, 5.3, K&N, Hypertech Tuning

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed

What further complicates this is that the stock muffler has a 2 1/2 in and TWO 2 1/2 pipes out that merge into one 3 inch tailpipe. I'd like to keep the stock tailpipe but this configuration seems difficult to match to an aftermarket muffler.

Help!

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on a cat back soon for my Denali. I'm gonna go with Corsa's Sport Cat Back w/ single side mounted & dual tips. I have a Corsa Cat Back on my Z06, that also has long tube headers & hi flow cats. And it has zero drone, not even a bit. That's why i'm going with them, but at a price higher than most cat backs like Magnaflow or Flowmaster. And from the sound clips i've heard, it's gonna sound sweet! :Chevy:

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What further complicates this is that the stock muffler has a 2 1/2 in and TWO 2 1/2 pipes out that merge into one 3 inch tailpipe. I'd like to keep the stock tailpipe but this configuration seems difficult to match to an aftermarket muffler.

Help!
I cut off a couple of Denali exhaust systems and it does have two 2-1/2 in, but it apears to have duel 2-1/2 out,the right side of that "Y" that goes into the rear of the muffler is a dummy plate I think they just use that for support,I was suprised myself when I cut it open and it was just a closed off space,You can probably get a duel in and single out they just have to cut and weld

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Help!

Go with a magnaflow dual in single out. It sounds great outside the truck (you get that deep v8 rumble, but inside you can hardly hear it, all that has to be done is remove the stock muffler, and replace it with the magnaflow, thats it! And you get plus 10 horsepower, a few more mpg, and that great v8 sound! And depending where you go it costs under $200.00 . I HIGHLY recommend the magnaflow, the flowmaster resonates to much in the cabin! Good Luck! :Chevy:

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I think that's the answer

Thanks, Crazydefense32 - I think you've given me the answer. I went to Magnaflow's site:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=464

And found just what I need. I think I originally said that it had a 2 1/2 in and dual 2 1/2s out - it's actually one 3 inch in and 2 2 1/2s out. Magnaflow can match about any configuration and I can use the stock pipes, just like you said.

Funny, this reminded me that I did the exact same thing on an F150 I had years ago (10 years ago - before the first Suburban) and it was exactly as you said - deep rumble, quiet in the cabin, not too loud.

Thanks for giving me the answer!

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Crazydefense32 - I think you've given me the answer. I went to Magnaflow's site:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=464

And found just what I need. I think I originally said that it had a 2 1/2 in and dual 2 1/2s out - it's actually one 3 inch in and 2 2 1/2s out. Magnaflow can match about any configuration and I can use the stock pipes, just like you said.

Funny, this reminded me that I did the exact same thing on an F150 I had years ago (10 years ago - before the first Suburban) and it was exactly as you said - deep rumble, quiet in the cabin, not too loud.

Thanks for giving me the answer!

No Problem, thats whats great about the forum!! Can't wait to here how it turns out! Good Luck :Chevy:

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MagnaFLOOOOOOWWWW

Got it installed yesterday - fantastic! It is just a bit louder, but not obnoxious at all. Deep V8 rumble. Here I am, 50 years old, going down the street with the passenger windows open just so I could hear it better!

I haven't been able to drive at freeway speeds yet to see if it 'drones' but I don't think so based on experience so far. Fits perfectly, and if I ever decide to go to dual exhausts it has the dual outlets - just be a matter of changing the pipes.

Thanks for the advice - I'll let you know how the fuel economy goes, but I can tell you already that it 'feels' more powerful.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
... Here I am, 50 years old, going down the street with the passenger windows open just so I could hear it better!

:lol: That's funny. My wife says the same about me; I'll be 80 yrs old doing wheelies down the 1/4 mile, even if it had to be in a wheelchair.
Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying your new exhaust:thumbsup: .

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it installed yesterday - fantastic! It is just a bit louder, but not obnoxious at all. Deep V8 rumble. Here I am, 50 years old, going down the street with the passenger windows open just so I could hear it better!

I haven't been able to drive at freeway speeds yet to see if it 'drones' but I don't think so based on experience so far. Fits perfectly, and if I ever decide to go to dual exhausts it has the dual outlets - just be a matter of changing the pipes.

Thanks for the advice - I'll let you know how the fuel economy goes, but I can tell you already that it 'feels' more powerful.

Was wondering if it drones in the car at higher speeds,and what size muffler did you go with?I have Corsa exhaust and its a little to Quiet,looking for a deep tone but with no drone,Glad to hear you like your new exhaust some pics would be great!Thanks

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats great that you got it, when I got mine I did the same thing, rolled down all the windows and listened to that rumble!! I think it was the only time I didn't listen to music in the car! As far as power I definately noticed an increase on mine too, 10hp more is what the muffler shop said, and I couldn't see if the mpg was better for about a week and a half because I was always on the throttle to get the sound (Eventually got about 3 mpg better). My experience with the magnaflow is that it does NOT drone at all on the freeway, it actually gets quiet and you don't even notice it unless you go up a hill than you might notice it if you arent listening to music or carrying on a conversation. Congrats on going through with it, you wont regret it!! And just for fun when your going down a hill shift into first and let the engine rev up!! Congrats!! :Chevy:

Whipple1 I used the 5x11x22 size muffler on mine if that helps.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No drone/great power

Guys

First - absolutely no drone at highway speeds and that was one of my main concerns. I mentioned before that the Borla I once had on Suburban would wear you out at 75-80....this one is actually QUIETER at that speed - just like Crazydefense said. The only time you really get that 'rumble' is when you put the engine under load or really get on it. Now that I've driven it a couple of days I can really feel the additional power - I confess - today a guy in a Chrysler 300 fired off a stoplight and when I gunned it he obviously floored it - I literally dusted him at half throttle! I'm embarrassed - 49, wife, 2 kids and I'm blowing a car off the line. :giggling:

I'll get some photos - but my rig looks pretty much stock - we used the stock pipes and the mechanic did a great job of incorporating the muffler into the stock flow.

My Yukon is pretty 'stealthy' - stock wheels (but they look good), stock size (265/75/16) Goodyear Fortera, K&N Filter element in stock air box, Hypertech tuning. I'll get some photos posted soon - I'm away from home right now.

Thanks for the suggestion!! You were right, and it worked and the muffler was only $105 shipped - of course I paid the mechanic to install it but that was reasonable. I came in well under my $300 target.

Thanks all

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Link not active

Sorry, I noticed that the link isn't active. The muffler is 14 inches long - 20inches overall with the connectors. Part number 12198 - 3 inch inlet and 2 2 1/2 inch outlets. It's the 5x8 oval.....