Valve ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bel52air

Reaction score
Guys , how annoying is a noisy lifter. I've had my 1999 2door/2wd tahoe for almost a year and cant get rid off the ticking. The ticking is always there but when it's heard it pertty annooying and embarrising.
Being that they are hydraulic lifters can they still be adjusted.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, these are self-adjusting.

Last edited:

bel52air

Reaction score
Thats correct basicaly Adjust to were theres no play on the push rod and do .25 turn on the rocker arm nut and thats it. The ticking is not always there though, you would think that if there was a rocker arm not adjusted properly it would always tick. Might just have lifters replaced.

DamonG

Reaction score
Just to throw this out there. I had a S-10 that had a ticking noise. It would come and go and I was about to have the lifters replaced when a neighbor came over and said it sounds like you have a exhaust leak. A new gasket and 2 hours later, no more tick.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there. I had a S-10 that had a ticking noise. It would come and go and I was about to have the lifters replaced when a neighbor came over and said it sounds like you have a exhaust leak. A new gasket and 2 hours later, no more tick.

Good suggestion. A bad exhaust manifold/header gasket will cause a ticking noise also. another good place to look.

bel52air

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to analys. Most likely its the lifters, I can quite them down slightly by adding thicker oil but the ticking returns fater 2,000 miles. Probably have to bite the bullet and replace the lifters. Not cheap!

yukonlover85

Reaction score
did you try any oil treatment, mine 96 yukon did the same thing and i brought lucas oil treatment and it went away a day or two later. Just somthing to try.

bel52air

Reaction score
yes Sir. Did not help, thinking about trying power punch.