Soon to be new owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamonG

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals.

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Damon as you can tell from the user name. I have been into old cars for quite some time now and I have seen it go from a bunch of guys fixing up old cars for fun to a full blown investor invasion. You can say i'm kind of burned out buy it. I am currently selling my car I have started on and am getting a toy. I have always loved to go camping and go offroad and being a GM guy I am looking for a 95-99 Tahoe/Yukon or Suburban. Once I sell the car I will pick one up.

What I need to know is what to look for in one this age. I have read reports and it looks like transmissions are pretty weak. Is this true? I dont see any other common problems but if you guys could enlighten me on what to look for when I start to shop that would be great. I am not looking for a daily driver just something that will sit in the garage and be ready to go when I want to take the family camping or off road, or just have a change of pace from my 04 Silverado. I'm also looking in the 4K and under range, so that will give you guys an idea of the shape I will expect to look for as well as mileage. When looking at a car as a toy the forum is most important for me as I try to do as much work as I can and it is nice to be able to have a place to go and look for answers or ask questions. I have been involved in a forum for my Pontiac for 4 years and it has been great. I always enjoy meeting new people and hearing new stories. I hope this journey is as good as my previous one. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! As far as the transmissions go I am really not sure. I have 151,000+ miles on mine and my transmission is just now starting to go! The only real problem I have had with my Hoe' is the brakes. On the 95-99 models the brakes pretty much suck. I wish I had taken to the time to spend the money to swap out the OEMs for aftermarket discs all around, if you have the money or know how to do it than definately go for it. Otherwise I have never had a problem with mine. It has never stranded me (well once, but that was because the alternator died after 60,000 miles straight) and it has never let me down, even when I take it through snow, and when I take it muddin'. If your looking for one with 4k on the odometer that is going to be hard, personally I have never seen one with that low of mileage, but if you can find one you will immediately fall in love with it. Good luck, and once again welcome. :Chevy:

DamonG

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I meant to say I was looking in the $4000 range. I know the only ones out there with that low of miles have to be in a warehouse or a collection.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would look at the third one, I've never been a fan of the barn doors in the back, but that one seems to look the best! Good Luck! :Chevy:

DamonG

Reaction score
The only thing I dont like about the third one is a dealer has it. The taxes and extra fees and all that kind of kill deals for me. I like to buy from private sellers on vehicles like this. I found one not to far from me, with 225k on the clock but a new trans was installed at the dealer 10k ago and they have a list of other stuff. They have dropped the price 800 since it has been in the trader now for a month. I might be about to get that one for the same as the on in TN I have a line on. That one has 190K and counting cause his wife now drives it everyday. That one has a new trans and front end under it. We'll see. My auction has 4 days left, a lot of watchers but no bidders. Take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=160162754361&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006

Most of the lookers are probably from the forum group I chat with all the time, but hopefully some of those are bidders waiting to pounce at the last minute. I have only had 3 scammers hit me so far. Not to bad.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I know what you mean about the dealers, even with a new tranny put in 225k is A LOT. Good Luck! :Chevy: