Newbie - 96 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karr95

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and new to Tahoe's in general. Last weekend I picked up a 1996 Chevy Tahoe 4 door with 70K on clock and generaly in great condition for a 11 year old truck. Over the years I have had several cars and trucks but I have to admit, this one is one of my favorites.

I recently got rid of a 1991 Pontiac GTA and with this, it is so nice to have a GM 350 that is not squeezed in between the fenders. There is plenty of room to work on this puppy.

As I mentioned I just picked this truck up and this weekend I am going to bring it to Aamco to get the power purge plus done on the tranny. I'll also do an oil change on it. Any recommendations on this truck or anything to look out for?

Thanks and I look forward to networking with everyone! :Chevy:

DamonG

Reaction score
Great to hear about your purchase. You got a realitively low mileage one. Way to go. I would get a trans service but I would stay away from the power purge. Get a old fashion fluid and filter change. When they reverse flush that system it can actually break apart seals and such and cause problems. That is what i've heard. If the trans fluid in it now is not burnt or real nasty, no need to flush it out. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I agree with DamonG; just do the simple filter and fluid change. I wouldn't do any kind of pressure flushing on a higher mileage tranny.
What kind of condition was your 3rd gen f-body in when you got rid of it? Just curious; I'm active in the f-body community.
Congrats on your neew ride and welcome to the forum by the way:thumbsup:

karr95

Reaction score
Not to go against what you guys told me (found out after the fact) but I went and did the power purge. The truck shifts so much better now. Before, it kinda would clunk into the next gear, now it shifts smoothly from one gear to the next.

The 3rd gen I had was a red 1991 GTA. It was up on ebay about a month ago and it was absolutely perfect. I got rid of it because I really needed a truck and the car wasn't too kind on my back. Besides, I have my Stang to fill the sports car void.

I do have one picture of my Tahoe, lets see if this works...Tahoe 1.jpg