Volant CAI??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has a Volant? I am thinking about getting one, but I read some reviews. Most of the reviews are good, but there are the few saying they cant stand it and the MPG actually went down. I usually dont pay attention to the one or two cry babies in the croud, but there were about 3 out of 10. I read a few write ups here, and most people say they havent seen a noticeable difference in mileage, but the responce was great. My goal for this truck is power and milage so I need to know if this thing doesnt do the best job. I like it because it is fully enclosed, and not crome or any other metal. And its easy to install. I think the ram air tube will help as well (more cool air). What do you guys got on this?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hey Kyle. I don't have a Volant intake, but wanted to reply in respect to your mileage and performance concerns.
Some people will see different results depending on existing mods and applications. Because of the way an engine operates, any gains from mods are exponential to one another rather than additive. For example; theoretically, let's say with ONLY an exhaust upgrade, you get a 1mpg increase. With just an intake upgrade, let's say you get 1mpg also. Well, if you have both mods, rather than adding 1mpg + 1mpg equaling 2, instead you may get 3mpg. Most mods benefit more depending on what you already have. So when one review states they saw no noticeable increase while another states that it was the best mod ever, this could be one of the determining factors.
You are on the right track with your choice though. Sectioned off from the engine bay is better, as well as getting a unit with a composite intake rather than metal.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the guys saying they lost mpg's probly put the intake in and drove around with the pedal on the floor trying to see if they felt more power for a few days, then wrote up they dont get as good gas milage. Thanks for the info, Im looking into the exaust situation also, but Im really picky so one thing at a time for me..... Do you or anyone else know of any other good choices other than Volant? I read up on Airaid, AEM, and Injen already. But the Volant still seems to be the best.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I figured the guys saying they lost mpg's probly put the intake in and drove around with the pedal on the floor trying to see if they felt more power for a few days, then wrote up they dont get as good gas milage. Thanks for the info, Im looking into the exaust situation also, but Im really picky so one thing at a time for me..... Do you or anyone else know of any other good choices other than Volant? I read up on Airaid, AEM, and Injen already. But the Volant still seems to be the best.

You're probably right about people flooring it after they install it:)
Check out S&B Filters also.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added a Volant CAI a few weeks ago, it's a nice intake. So far from what I can tell, you could get increased MPG by maybe 1 gallon or so. But like you said, most people put the pedal down cause of the added power and that awesome intake sound. The main reasons why I chose this intake, is because it's enclosed which will keep out the hot engine compartment air. And it's C.A.R.B. Cert, which is important for me being in Cali. The ram air tube is only available on certain trucks, like the Silverado SS and a few others. It having a dry filter keeps from having to oil it, and possibility of getting oil on the MAF. But others have this kind of filter also. But if you drive like a lil ole lady, you'll pick up some MPG with this set up. Good luck! :cheers:

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dry filter is a extra right? Doesnt it come with a oiled filter? Im gonna go check out that S@B real quick, but as of now Im thinking I'll probly pick it up this weekend.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dry filter is a extra right? Doesnt it come with a oiled filter? Im gonna go check out that S@B real quick, but as of now Im thinking I'll probly pick it up this weekend.

Actually yes, the regular filter is oiled. When I ordered mine, I ordered it w/ the PowerCore filter that is a dry element filter. It was gonna be back ordered for 3 weeks, so I switched my order to one w/ a regular filter cause I didn't want to wait. I have a oiled filter on my vette, no a big deal to wash and re-oil every several thousand miles or so. Just gotta be careful not to over oil it. I know the AEM CAI has a dry filter now, I had one on my Honda. Good luck, i'm sure which ever one you end up with you'll be happy. :Chevy:

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im torn now between the S@B and the Volant. I dont really know anything from experience about ether, but the S@B looks f-ing sweet with a plexi lid, and its quite a bit less expencive. JK, what do you know about S@B?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Im torn now between the S@B and the Volant. I dont really know anything from experience about ether, but the S@B looks f-ing sweet with a plexi lid, and its quite a bit less expencive. JK, what do you know about S@B?

Besides the good looks of the S&B, I like the fact that it comes with a metered oiling system so you apply the right amount of oil each time. They have pre-set oiling levels depending on application.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this an intake you have on one of your cars? I have never had a filter that needed to be oiled. I read the reviews on this intake also, they all look good except that a bunch of people said the install was a pain and they didnt even think it would fit for a while. But they do show test and dyno charts on the site and I like that. Volant didnt have anything like that. But everyone said the install was a breeze.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Is this an intake you have on one of your cars? I have never had a filter that needed to be oiled. I read the reviews on this intake also, they all look good except that a bunch of people said the install was a pain and they didnt even think it would fit for a while. But they do show test and dyno charts on the site and I like that. Volant didnt have anything like that. But everyone said the install was a breeze.

I have this on my Tahoe. Install was just like any other intake. I didn't have any problems.
CAI.jpg

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the S@B. Just ordered it. I like that they post charts on the site so you can see what it actually does for filtration, and HP. Volant doesnt have anything like that. I like Volants dry filter better, but Ill live. Im trying to figure out if the blue oil they sell is something I can use instead of the red. Doesnt really matter but I think it looks cooler. Well it should be here in a few days. Does it make a big difference in sound or is it not really that noticeable?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
... Does it make a big difference in sound or is it not really that noticeable?

I definitely noticed a whistling sound at certain rpm and loads, kinda like a turbo. Not so loud that it's annoying, but enough so you know it's aftermarket.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a problem with the airbox. The plexi lid doesnt fit. It looks like the lid was made for another box. The screw holes will line up with one side or the other but all four are obviously not lined up at all. The pic JK put up is the same thing I have, but yours fits. I got screwed.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldda went Volant! :lol: Hopefully your vendor will take care of you...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Got a problem with the airbox. The plexi lid doesnt fit. It looks like the lid was made for another box. The screw holes will line up with one side or the other but all four are obviously not lined up at all. The pic JK put up is the same thing I have, but yours fits. I got screwed.

Sorry to hear that. You should be able to get it taken care of. This is the first time I ever used this brand, and I was actually very impressed with this one compared to others I've had in the past. I'm sure you're on it already, but I'd be sure to contact them and let em know the deal. I'm sure they would take care of it.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new box is on the way. They had no problem sending a replacement, and they told me to keep the old one. I have to say they have really good customer service. I left three voicemails for different people, and a email on Sat. (they were closed). And today, I got three return phone calls from everybody, and a email. They defenetly wanted to make things right.

Also, whats the deal with the custom "ram air" JK? Did you do this by just routeing some tubes through the front end? Any specs, materials....????

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to know that there are still companies around that take their customer's satisfaction seriously! :thumbsup:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hey Coastie Kyle, did you ever get your new piece in from S&B and taken care of? Seems like they have really great customer service.