My Trans Cooler Started Spewing!!!...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
...so I ordered a new one from Fluidyne. Just got it in yesterday. Nice looking cooler design:yesnod: . I went ahead and ordered the Heavy Duty cooler, which is twice the size of the stock unit; has a multipass 9 row patented design and tests conclude cooling efficiency is 50% better than the avg fin and tube design of similar size coolers. Plus Fluidyne makes some good products. The cooler the better, especially with trans fluid.
Anyway, my other car is in my garage for a motor swap, so I needed my truck for commuting. So I pulled the stock cooler and bypassed it for the meantime. When I install the new unit, I'll go ahead and do a little tech write-up w/pics to add to our board for reference.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Please do! Is the stock trans cooler always functional, or is it on a check valve or something that has to do with temperature?

The cooler always has fluid flowing through it, no matter what the temp. ATF is different from motor oil in the sense that motor oil can get too cold, but ATF is ok in extreme cold temps. The cooler, the better.

Last edited:

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice, Fluidyne makes some good stuff. Pricey but it's worth it. :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Part #10029Fluidyne Extra Heavy Duty Low Pressure Drop/High Flow 18,000 BTU (17,000 BTU to 25,000 BTU depending on air velocity), 25,000 lbs GVW Rating Automatic Transmission Cooler.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, now thats the "extra heavy duity" one. Why are you getting that one verse the just "heavy duity" cooler? I am wanting a better trans cooler for my yukon, but I know nothing about them. Will the heavy duity 11,000 btu cooler be an upgrade from whats already in the truck stock? And how much customizing will be needed to the front to make this fit (If your still doing a write up I'll wait on that answer)? Thanks for all the info man, HUGE help.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Ok, now thats the "extra heavy duity" one. Why are you getting that one verse the just "heavy duity" cooler? I am wanting a better trans cooler for my yukon, but I know nothing about them. Will the heavy duity 11,000 btu cooler be an upgrade from whats already in the truck stock? And how much customizing will be needed to the front to make this fit (If your still doing a write up I'll wait on that answer)? Thanks for all the info man, HUGE help.

One of the most important factors, if not THE most important, in the longevity of an automatic transmission is the temperature. The cooler you can keep the trans and the ATF, the longer it will last. A 20* drop in temps will help double the life of your tranny. I go on a few long trips throughout the year and tow the ocassional car trailer to the race track or a boat here and there. So while I have to replace the cooler anyway, I decided to go with a good one.
The Fluidyne heavy duty 11,000 BTU you are asking about is better than the stock unit. I plan on installing the new one Saturday evening, so I will let you know how it goes, Should be a very simple install. I'll probably have to fab up some brackets, but nothing major. I'll post pics as I go along.