door adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boosted mahi

Reaction score
Hey folks,

New owner here - 1997 4x4 with 80k on the clock. Bought it from the librarian of a small town - great previous owner! Anyhow, the drivers door sags a bit. As in, when you close the door it bangs a little and lifts up as it goes over the stud.

My old Range Rover allows me to adjust the door pitch by releasing, adjusting, and retightening some bolts.

Surely these doors are adjustable?????

Also, how many miles are the tie rods typically good for? I want to clean up the slop in the steering.

Thanks!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
GM ususally uses bushings that a hinge pins slides into. The bushings wear out and you have to replace the bushings and hinge pins.
To clean up the steering slop some, you can change the tie rod ends like you mentioned as well as replace the all the front end bushings.

boosted mahi

Reaction score
JK,

Thanks for the quick reply! I did examine the hinge pins last night and noticed the top hinge pin appeared offset to one side of its hole. Naturally this concerned me a bit, as I wondered if the pin had enlarged the hinge's holes!!! So, as I understand it, there are bushings that press into the holes and hug the pins?

And you are recommending that I replace the pins and bushings together, and not just the bushings? (Assuming the bushings are sold separately...)

Thanks again!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If the pin hasn't worn down considerably, then just bushings should be ok. But I'm not sure if they are available seperatley. I've bought a couple kits in the past for other vehicles and they had both pins and bushings.

bigrick2179

Reaction score
ur steering problem can be as simple as a pittman arm mine was bad felt like i was driving a semi in a hurricane it was bad replaced it nows drives nicely

SmothZ71

Reaction score
Just had this fixed on my 97's driver door yesterday. Bushings/pins set at the dealership cost about $52. Or, you can buy all the parts individually.

SmothZ71

Reaction score
$52?:ack:

I've seen them for under $20 at my local Schucks.

Or try ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-0...ryZ33642QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Parts from a dealership will always cost a whole lot more than anywhere else. I'm a DIYer, I have always refused having a shop do work for me that I can do myself, or figure out so that I can learn something. Of course, this was an instance where I did not have the time available to do it myself, so I had to break my no shop rule :cryin:

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone have pics to go along with the pin/bushing replacement?

Also, my door spring popped out. I got the replacement parts, but haven't had time to do this.... Help?

Hardwarz

ScottyG

Reaction score
make sure that you have a spring compressor. and a buddy to hold the door when you take off the hinges. you may be able to do one pin at a time but i found it easier with two guys, and floor jack with a 2x4 on it to hold the weight of the door.

Drehzahl

Reaction score
Hi

hinge pins cargo doors
Special tools ?
Bumper removal for the lower hinge pin ?

Question over questions !
the link is dead :(

Thanks in advance,

Heiko

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure that you have a spring compressor. and a buddy to hold the door when you take off the hinges. you may be able to do one pin at a time but i found it easier with two guys, and floor jack with a 2x4 on it to hold the weight of the door.

You can get the spring compression tool at Harbor Freight for under $10.00.

Hardwarz