Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in a little bit of a situation and could use some advice. for some background info i just bought my tahoe a little under 3 months ago and have put about 2900 miles on it. i just took it in for an oil change today and had the brakes and shocks inspected and the shocks on the front and back (i have autoride) are blown, they are completely covered in oil and on top of that the back brake pads are down to the indicator. Now when i purchaed the vehicle it was a certified used car and was told goes through a nice inspection and the repairs get fixed accordingly. The mechanics at the Midas that i took it to said these things would have been noticeable when the dealership had the car in. so i called the used car manager and pleaded my case and he said he couldnt do anything and i had to call back and talk to the GM of the dealership. it sounds like i may get blown off and not get the repairs fixed. also this is a reputable dealership in my city not just a hole in the wall.

What do you guys think? I at least think they should do the shocks for free that is like $700 bucks, am i right in assuming this? anybody else have similar circumstances? any advice would be great, i am calling the GM tom when he gets in. sorry that was so long.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well it depends on their definition of "certified". Some dealerships' certfication checklists are different from others. Some may only check pertinent safety items such as brakes, steering, lighting, fluids, etc., while some go on to a more thorough checklist. I hate to say it, but if they didn't produce a checklist to you when you purchased the vehicle to show you what gets checked in their inspection, you may be stuck out.
Either way, I hope they do help you out in some way. Good luck.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can see where you are coming from on that, i should have gotten a check list to verify what exactly is inspected. but still the fact that ride quality is one of the biggest features of these vehicles i cant see how they can sell it and say that it is free of any major repairs or fixes when the shocks are bad. i mean they sold me a "certified" used vehicle for $14k that need close a a thousand dollar repair. just doesn't seem right. i guess just because you go to a big reputable dealer doesnt necessarily make a difference on these sort of issues.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy just (a few weeks ago) bought another Firebird from a "certified" dealer. And a week and a half later he noticed problems in fourth and fith gear (not shifting in I guess). He called and talked to a bunch of people and got a few different run arounds. But he got pissed off enough that he drove back down where he picked it up at, which is an hour and a half away, and started up on the dealer he bought it from. Well he workeed his way up the chain, and caused enough hell I guess after an hour or so, they eventually broke down and paid for the new tranny. He did all this about a week and a half to two weeks later though. I dont know about three months. But dont give up on it, 700 dollars is worth yelling at some people in my opinion, and you might get lucky. But I personally would go in and talk to the GM guy. Its a lot harder to blow someone off to there face. Especially when they are pist and are not taking no for an answer. Good luck man.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was this a brand certified car, like GMCertified or Toyota Certified for example. Cause certified cars come with warranties if it's from a manufacturer.

I've been working at a car dealership for almost 8 years in sales/finance. If it's been 3 months down the line it's gonna be hard to get something out of a dealer. Especially if you signed something called a "as is" or "buyers guide" that basically says the dealer is not responsible for any issues after x amount of time. Every state is different so not sure what your exact laws are. If it was a couple weeks, they'd probably do something, but a lot can happen in 3 months. Hopefully you have some sort of warranty, if not good luck and I hope it works out. :Chevy:

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bowtie: it wasn't a GM certified car but i guess a certified car by the dealership, which i guess basically amounts to nothing but of course when they are selling it to you they say everything is checked out and they fix any sort of problems.

i can understand that it has been 3 months but that doesnt change the fact that when i was sold the car it was in need of a $700 repair. plus since the mechanics at the midas were saying that it have definitely been noticeable when i bought it i dont buy that something happened in the little time i have had them. they are probably the stock shocks on there and needed to be changed when the dealership had it because they were worn and leaky but never got done.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also does anyone know of a website that would explain the consumer laws for kansas on used vehicles or if there is some way i could find if dealerships have to make certain repairs or put vehicles through a certain inspection in order to advertise them as a certified used car in Kansas? trying to do a little bit of research before i talk with the GM of this dealership, i have tried searching google but nothing useful yet.