Replacing headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Haugh

Reaction score
I just got raked over the coals when I asked a mechanic to replace a headlight that had burned out on my 1997 Yukon. (I had it in for an oil change/tire rotation, etc.) They claimed that they had to remove the entire grill assembly to get to the passenger side light to replace the bulb. Is there any truth to this? It looked to me like they should be able to get to it by taking the battery out.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Whether you have the composite or the sealed beam version on your truck, neither requires the grille to be removed to replace the bulb. Both types of headlight assemblies can be removed and pulled forward to remove the bulb in a matter of seconds if not accessible from behind the housing. So either the mechanic is inexperienced, or just wanted an excuse to make a little more cash.

Craig Haugh

Reaction score
Thanks!

That was kind of what I was thinking, but before I got into it with this guy, I wanted to get a little verification. Thanks for helping out!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Even with the sealed beam, you should be able remove the trim around the headlight (fours screws if i remember right) then remove the headlight and change the bulb. I could very well be wrong, but i know I've changed them out like this before on a couple of them at least.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sound right, I wasn't sure the diagram off of alldata kinda looked like the grille was taking off even thou they didn't say it in the steps

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
sound right, I wasn't sure the diagram off of alldata kinda looked like the grille was taking off even thou they didn't say it in the steps

Hmm... I haven't looked at the file yet, but maybe the diagram showed the grille removed to better illustrate location of trim and screws maybe?

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
i had my headlights go out an i had to remove the grille there was no other way to get to them from behind, it really wasn't that hard to do your self it just took time, so its a good after dinner project, but if u do it ur self u can save that cash and spend it on some better bulbs, i put silverstars in mine and what a difference from stock, my one friend runs the new xeons i guess there called and they are wicked bright, but my guess it to look over ur truck and use good judgement

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my marker bulbs and headlights, I had to remove the grill. Even my Haynes manual said to remove the grill. I have a 99 (early model) 4 door Tahoe.

Hardwarz

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pulled the grill off mine as well to replace the lights. its really easy to do yourself. almost as easy as pulling the headlight assembly apart with the grill on.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!

you guys pop the hood on your vehicle right above the headlights you will see 2 very small screws i belive they are 1/4 or so unscrew the 2 of them pull them straight out and the whole headlight assembly falls out into your hand it is a five min. job. this for the 95-99 old body style composite style not sealed beam

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys pop the hood on your vehicle right above the headlights you will see 2 very small screws i belive they are 1/4 or so unscrew the 2 of them pull them straight out and the whole headlight assembly falls out into your hand it is a five min. job. this for the 95-99 old body style composite style not sealed beam

Haha, +1.

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted "+1" meaning I agree with what you had said. I posted "haha" simply because I had to chuckle a little about all the fuss to simply replace a headlamp bulb.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pictures please.

Hardwarz

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not hard

this is pasg. side there is one also right next to the pasg fender this one is over towards the middle about 6-8" from the fendertahoe.jpg

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you back out the adjusting screws until the lap falls out? You refocus them each time then?

Hardwarz

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a adjustment screw

that is NOT a adjustment screw at all it was made for removing the headlights easily
do you think chevy would make us remove the entire grill to put new headlights in i think not if you remove the two on one side and take out the headlamp you will see what i mean we i say they have NOTHING to do with the adjustments or angle of the headlamp

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 I pulled mine out a few years ago to install a set of PIAA Superwhites. 30 minutes, start to finish.