Turn/Brake light Problem....HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Hello All-
I am new here so forgive me if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find any exact answers so......
I have a 97 Tahoe. Yesterday I noticed the left turn signal on my instrument panel was flashing at twice the normal rate. I checked the left rear outside bulbs and one was burned out. This morning I replaced both bulbs on the rear left side but the turn signal nor the brake lights work on that side. The front turn signal flashes at the same high rate as the inside turn indicator, (other side works fine front and back.) When I turn the headlights on, all bulbs work fine but still do not flash.

I checked all the fuses on the panel inside the door and none were blown??

I also know there is a flasher fuse or relay to the upper left of the brake but since the right side flashes didnt think this would be the problem but....????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of that makes sense is that you replaced the bulbs with a single filament rather than a dual filament type.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First turn your hazards on to see if the lights that don't work start working. If they do flash it is a wiring inbetween your flash relay and the switch or the switch itself. if the lights don't flash it could be the relay or a wire from the relay to the lights. Hope that helps alittle. Without getting a DMM in there and your hand dirty you won't know the cause.

Yeah Yeah what JK says below I am too tired to think. Since he had a tahoe longer and I don't have a schematic, he is right :-\

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Couldn't be the switch or it wouldn't be sending a signal to the flasher to start flashing rapidly in the first place like it's doing. And the design of the flasher wouldn't cause just one side to flash correctly and render another side inop. The hazard and turn signals run off the same flasher, so the wiring between the turn signal switch and flasher is still good.

97tahoe

Reaction score
corrosion, corrosion, corrosion

Well I appreciate the info but I overlooked the simplest cause. The bulb socket was a tad corroded so after cleaning it up, lights all worked fine!!!

Thanks again!!