Option Poll L31 or LT1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
LT1. More performance oriented and plenty more aftermarket parts available.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Also, the LT1 has a reverse cooling system. This means that the heads get the cooler coolant mixture straight from the radiator first rather than being passed through the block first. This keeps the heads cooler, which means you can bump up the CR some for more power w/o detonation.
But look out for the earlier LT1s with the older optispark design. Some 94s and all 95-up LT1s were equipped with a revised Optispark distributor, which was more reliable than the older ones. And it sucks when the Optispark goes out and leaves you stuck somewhere:mad2: .
I'd go with an OBDII model system; the mass air flow system is better than the older speed density system, and a ckp sensor is added to detect misfires.
Believe me, there's a lot you can do to the LT1s. And a drawback with the Vortec L31, you're limited to different intakes because of the head bolt design of the Vortec heads.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the one I got was a 2 bolt main (I know but it was complete with harness and computer) out of a 96 buick roadmaster with a claimed 50k on it. I am going to look at the car this weekend and run the vin to see what it really has on it. But thanks for the info.
Now would I have to change the harness, I know with the engine out it shouldn't be that bad, but if I don't have to I don't want to.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well the one I got was a 2 bolt main (I know but it was complete with harness and computer) out of a 96 buick roadmaster with a claimed 50k on it. I am going to look at the car this weekend and run the vin to see what it really has on it. But thanks for the info.
Now would I have to change the harness, I know with the engine out it shouldn't be that bad, but if I don't have to I don't want to.

The locations of some sensors are going to be different. You can probably splice in wire here and there wherever you need it, but it may just be easier swapping the harnesses. And some of the connectors may even be different due to different component revisions and part numbers, like the tps, maf, iat, etc.
I always swap the harnesses whenver I do a motor swap unless it's the same engine family without revisions.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I already know if I have to cut one wire, I am swapping the whole harness instead :p Want this truck looking as clean as possible. Who wants a whole bunch of butt connector under the hood. Just something else to slip off, short, or fail. But thanks for the input

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Want this truck looking as clean as possible. Who wants a whole bunch of butt connector under the hood. Just something else to slip off, short, or fail.

Very true. That's why i always solder and heatshrink everything. Better electrical connection, 1000x more reliable, and looks nicer:)

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true true almost as nice as the oem harness. I really lucked out with finding this motor that has everything. Price is alittle too good, I got to feel the guy out. Either he is a dim wit, it is stolen, or it is blown. I hope it looks, sounds, and true miles when I see it this weekend.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
We're racking up our post count going back and forth about this motor swap:D

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it looks like I not gonna sleep tonight....it is already 4:30am, but I can shot completely asleep and still hit the target, half asleep I will hit where I am aiming.....rofl

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the LT1 has a reverse cooling system. This means that the heads get the cooler coolant mixture straight from the radiator first rather than being passed through the block first. This keeps the heads cooler, which means you can bump up the CR some for more power w/o detonation.
But look out for the earlier LT1s with the older optispark design. Some 94s and all 95-up LT1s were equipped with a revised Optispark distributor, which was more reliable than the older ones. And it sucks when the Optispark goes out and leaves you stuck somewhere:mad2: .
I'd go with an OBDII model system; the mass air flow system is better than the older speed density system, and a ckp sensor is added to detect misfires.
Believe me, there's a lot you can do to the LT1s. And a drawback with the Vortec L31, you're limited to different intakes because of the head bolt design of the Vortec heads.

:iagree: I had a 96 Corvette with the LT1, my had the revised vent system and I could wash my motor and had no problems with the Optispark system.. My buddy had a 94 Corvette pre update. Everytime he washed his motor getting ready for car shows he would have to let the car set for hours because the Optispark would act up.