Tire Size Difference???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe2Vegas

Reaction score
Hey All,

I currently am running 305/40/22's on my Tahoe...and it's time for new tires. I have come across a great deal on some new one's, but they are 305/45/22's. Is that going to make much of a difference???

Thanks!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Not too much. The 245s will have a slightly higher sidewall, but not much. One of my friends just did the same thing you're inquiring about with the same size tires and the difference was minimal.

NitroMag

Reaction score
The 45 aspect ratio is actually 1.2 inches taller than the 40. As far as load capacity you're fine ether way. The only problem I can see is some tire rub on the front, but that all depends on your wheel offset. Test fit first for sure if you can. I'm not trying to sound all smarty pants and all, just trying to through some technical info out there for you. BTW I'm a asst. manager at Discount Tire Co. and I've always had a good response from my customers with the 40's, as far as the 45's id almost be cautious with wheel travel going down the road and the Tahoe bottoming out on the tire. Well that was my 2 cents. test fit test fit test fit....if it works more power to you go for the good deal.:thumbsup:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The 45 aspect ratio is actually 1.2 inches taller than the 40...., as far as the 45's id almost be cautious with wheel travel going down the road and the Tahoe bottoming out on the tire.

1.2" taller overall diameter, which equates to only 0.6" added from the center of the hub to the closest point on the inner well on a vertical plane. Being that the overall diameter of a 45 series 22" tire is only about 2.3" taller (about 1" loss of "wheel well gap") than the stock 16" wheel, I wouldn't think bottoming out would be much of a concern with stock height suspension.

Last edited:

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire change / speedo

Not to mention the obvious, but don't forget that this will effect your speedo and odo readings......I think it'll make you read slow by a couple MPH and will also make your odo record fewer actual miles - I think I didn't get it backwards........

:shhh:

Enjoy!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Not to mention the obvious, but don't forget that this will effect your speedo and odo readings......I think it'll make you read slow by a couple MPH and will also make your odo record fewer actual miles - I think I didn't get it backwards........

:shhh:

Enjoy!

Right. With the said new 45 ratio tire, the speedo will read about 7.2% slower if the truck was originally equipped with stock 16" wheels. So an actual 60mph would show up about 56 on the speedo.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - but that's one of the things that programmers like the Hypertech will take care of for you - you can reprogram the speedo based on the tire size.

Yukon will definitely 'go' - don't need to see lights flashing in the rear view mirror!

Tahoe2Vegas

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up the tires today. All four, brand new for $320! Cheapest I found them on the internet for was $600 a set, plus tax, shipping, etc. So very happy with the deal. Found them on Craig's List from a private party that sold their tahoe, but never installed the tires.

Will let you know if I have any problems with the different size, but from what you are all saying, I don't think I will.

Thanks Again!