Climate Control Function/Flapper Control motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right, again since I feel like I'm playing blind here without a service manual for the 1997 Yukon SLT..

The front climate control.. no matter what position it is on (upper, lower, split, defrost, etc) it seems to come out about the same from every outlet (dash, front, lower). As I turn up the fan control from low towards high.. I hear a 'thunk' of sorts, and then the distinct sound of air leaking.. Basically it appears all the flappers close, but air leaks through all of them. I can turn the air/fan off... and when I turn it back on, it will resume properly, until I turn it up past 'low'..

My other observation(s) right now is that the light behind the control knob on the right (that controls the flappers/air direction) is out. I doubt there was any connection between the two, but thought I'd ensure 'full disclosure' and toss that out there.

I am unsure and would like some direction of either test procedures, or if it is worth replacing the control panel on the dash first or if this definitely sounds like a problem with the function control motor (at least that's what it is called in Hondas).

Lastly, the knob on the right (again that controls the flapper/air direction) doesn't really 'click into each position.. just a real subtle click with every little turn between the marked "defrost" "upper" "split" "lower" etc. Perhaps a simple knob stripped out, and it currently is stuck 'between' those settings (allowing air to be sent to all the vents, rather than any inparticular).

I am thinking with winter approaching, I don't need my defrost to not work, or not blow out onto the window like I'll need.

I thank you in advance for any help.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
There is a part called the air door mode actuator that moves a couple links, adjusting direction of the airflow. It should be located on the left side of the air door assembly underneath the passenger side dash. If you turn the ign on and turn the mode knob, you should be able to see the actuator adjusting. It may be stuck, or the linkage binding up some. The linkage is on the outside, so you can try to move it and help the actuator along if it seems like the actuator is trying to work. If the actuator doesn't seem to be working at all, you may have a problem with the control assembly.
Hope this helps some.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check it this weekend, thanks.. is this a common/known issue on the yukon/tahoes? If the actuator isn't even trying.. then the piece I need to look to replace would be.... the entire control assembly?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
... If the actuator isn't even trying.. then the piece I need to look to replace would be.... the entire control assembly?

Sorry, I guess I didn't finish; got interrupted by one of my little girls:). More than likely it is either the control module or a bad actuator. I've seen the actuator go bad as well as the control assembly. I don't know what GM was thinking when they designed the control assembly. The circuit board is exposed. I've had to repair open traces on the boards from people installing aftermarket radios. You have to use an antenna adapter on these trucks whever you install an aftermarket radio. The antenna adapter has a metal sleeve on the outside, so if it is installed carelessly, the ant adapter can lay across the top of the exposed circuit board when the radio is installed and short out a circuit or two, usually resulting in a burned trace on the board. So if you have an aftermarket deck, you might want to check this out also.

Last edited:

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought.. the Yukon is new (to me) but the previous owner had it since it was off lease in '98. I'll ask him about an aftermarket radio.. Thanks for the addtional help. I'll keep you posted, and/or bug you for more information. =)