Dual batteries.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I will be adding a second battery and isolator to my truck later this week. I installed a 3000W power inverter a while back. With that and my a/v system, I need a 2nd battery to run the systems off of while we're out (we go camping and spend the weekends out on the beach often). If anyone is interested, I'll post a how-to thread along with pics later this week for anyone who may be looking to do this as well.

Last edited:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What battery do you use, I'm lookin into getting a Optima Redtop or Yellowtop to replace my Interstate. :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, i would think about this too. Are you replacing the alternator or can the OEM handle it, to me it would over work it because now you have two sources that need charging and all your cool gadgets. BUT i could be very wrong here.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
What battery do you use, I'm lookin into getting a Optima Redtop or Yellowtop to replace my Interstate. :Chevy:

If you are replacing your main battery and do not ususally run acc with the truck off, the redtop will be perfect. But if you have any aftermarket high current equipment, or play a high powered stereo or whatever else you may have with your engine not running for extended periods, then the yellow top will be better because of its deep cycling capabilities. You can use the yellow top for both applications, starting and deep cycling, but if you don't have much aftermarket equipment, the redtop is mainly a starting battery, so is cheaper and will do just fine.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
cool, i would think about this too. Are you replacing the alternator or can the OEM handle it, to me it would over work it because now you have two sources that need charging and all your cool gadgets. BUT i could be very wrong here.

I will be replacing the alternator, but at a later time. The stock alt will be ok to charge both batteries because the batteries don't essentially draw current. The problem comes when the equipment you have is drawing more current than the alt can provide, then it damages the rectifier and then poof. But until I finish the rest of my mods, the OEM will work for now, then it's on to a 200A alt.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are replacing your main battery and do not ususally run acc with the truck off, the redtop will be perfect. But if you have any aftermarket high current equipment, or play a high powered stereo or whatever else you may have with your engine not running for extended periods, then the yellow top will be better because of its deep cycling capabilities. You can use the yellow top for both applications, starting and deep cycling, but if you don't have much aftermarket equipment, the redtop is mainly a starting battery, so is cheaper and will do just fine.

Yea, I have a 10" sub with a 600 watt amp, and a In Dash DVD player, so I don't have that draw that much power from the battery, but sometimes I sit in the car if I am between something (and am away from home) and watch a dvd or video on the in-dash for a while. I also go off roading once in a while so I am concerned about the vibration. :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Yea, I have a 10" sub with a 600 watt amp, and a In Dash DVD player, so I don't have that draw that much power from the battery, but sometimes I sit in the car if I am between something (and am away from home) and watch a dvd or video on the in-dash for a while. I also go off roading once in a while so I am concerned about the vibration. :Chevy:

You should be fine replacing the battery with a red top. You can get one with a higher capacity than the direct stock replacement which will give you more runtime in between charging.
Also, the Optimas are built to withstand vibration, so you are good there on your off-roading trips.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say yellow top Optima's are the best way to go because the deep cycle option,Many times while I worked on my car the battery goes dead and sometimes a regular battery that goes dead wont take a recharge,with a deep cycle you can drain it and recharge it continuously without killing the battery,Thats what its made for, especially if you listen to a stereo with your truck not running for long periods of time you can drain it and recharge it with no damage, I have killed a optima red top battery,For the few extra bucks the yellow top is the safer choice:thumbsup:

jrneyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES YES YES!!!!!
I helped my brother on this on his 07 avalanche--it was an optima red top, and im considering doing this mod as well, but a write-up would be awesome--
im looking forward to this one--
thanks, guys--

INHUMANITY

Reaction score
I've got nothing but good things to say about the Optima's. I've had them in all my vehicles after the originals crapped out.

I've got a red top in my IROC which works great at keeping my system going with the car off for quite a while.

I have it in storage and rarely ever fire up the IROC. I think the longest I had it in storage was 8 months without turning the car on. Didn't even disconnect the battery. Was too lazy. :)

Finally went to fire it up and the car started up without any hesitation.

JKmotorsports, I would love to see what you've installed. Sounds like an awesome setup.

I'm a mobile electronics geek myself and always end up adding lots of toys to my vehicles.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I've got nothing but good things to say about the Optima's. I've had them in all my vehicles after the originals crapped out.

I've got a red top in my IROC which works great at keeping my system going with the car off for quite a while.

I have it in storage and rarely ever fire up the IROC. I think the longest I had it in storage was 8 months without turning the car on. Didn't even disconnect the battery. Was too lazy. :)

Finally went to fire it up and the car started up without any hesitation.

JKmotorsports, I would love to see what you've installed. Sounds like an awesome setup.

I'm a mobile electronics geek myself and always end up adding lots of toys to my vehicles.

Optimas are great batts. I've used the Yellow and Blue tops in most of my 3rd gen f-bodies. I've only once killed an optima. It was a bluetop I had installed in an Expedition I used to have with 5Kw pushing eight 12" subs, seven monitors, Xbox, and PS2. I would have it at shows and constantly drained the battery. Only lasted about 8 months. Other than that, the rest of my optimas have been great. I just did a dual batt setup in my 'hoe. I had a new battery laying around my garage that is the same CCA as the one in the truck. And the one in the truck is only a few months old. So I installed that until the batteries get a little older and then I'll replace them with two yellowtops.
I'm working on my sub system now. I have Infinty Kappa components installed in the doors powered by a 75x4 Alpine V12 amp. I'm about to pull the Premier 960 HU and replace it with a D3. I'm installing two Kicker comp VR 12's running of a mono 800w Alpine amp. There's a pr of DEI 7" widescreen headrests/DVD, a custom 8" monitor in the center console, b\u camera, Viper 791 remote start alarm w/ window rollup and everything else you can add, and a few more things. Only pics I've taken so far is of the screen in the center console. There's a thread in the Picture Forum.

INHUMANITY

Reaction score
It was a bluetop I had installed in an Expedition I used to have with 5Kw pushing eight 12" subs, seven monitors, Xbox, and PS2.
:eek: That is f'ing bad ass! I bow down to you, sir. :)

I don't want to get off-topic, but seeing as there seems to be a few f-body owners I'm gonna brag for a second...

My 1988 IROC-Z Convertible. Bought it in 1999 from the original owner with 64K.

small_13.jpg

Still in what I consider mint condition, but needs a new top.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
:eek: That is f'ing bad ass! I bow down to you, sir. :)

I don't want to get off-topic, but seeing as there seems to be a few f-body owners I'm gonna brag for a second...

My 1988 IROC-Z Convertible. Bought it in 1999 from the original owner with 64K.
Still in what I consider mint condition, but needs a new top.

Nice 3rd gen. Looks real clean:thumbsup: . I have a couple pics of my 92 Z in the random pics thread in the general discussion forum. When I get home later I'll post the link to my cardomain site with some of my 3rd gens, expedition, and some installs. Been a while since I updated it, so my tahoe isn't on there yet.

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, I posted the installation of my dual batteries in the Technical Forum for those of you who may be interested.

INHUMANITY

Reaction score
Nice 3rd gen. Looks real clean:thumbsup: . I have a couple pics of my 92 Z in the random pics thread in the general discussion forum. When I get home later I'll post the link to my cardomain site with some of my 3rd gens, expedition, and some installs. Been a while since I updated it, so my tahoe isn't on there yet.
Cool. Can't wait to see them.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eight 12" subs, seven monitors, Xbox, and PS2. I would have it at shows and constantly drained the battery.
DAMN!!! I agree, I bow down to you!! Your hoe know is pretty sick as it is now, are you going to mod the Tahoe as much as the Expedition? Also I was looking into getting a remote start system for my Hoe, all it does is add remote start and just keeps the auxilary to pop the hatch and of course lock and unlock doors. Have you installed something like this before and if so would you happen to have or could you do a write up on it? :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
DAMN!!! I agree, I bow down to you!! Your hoe know is pretty sick as it is now, are you going to mod the Tahoe as much as the Expedition? Also I was looking into getting a remote start system for my Hoe, all it does is add remote start and just keeps the auxilary to pop the hatch and of course lock and unlock doors. Have you installed something like this before and if so would you happen to have or could you do a write up on it? :Chevy:

There's no way I'm doing the same thing to the 'hoe. The pressure and vibration from the sub system cracked the mounting plates for the rear liftgate hinges, broke the rear wiper mount twice, and in the end, eventually the flex from the roof put a 6" crack along the top. So I pulled the system, sold all the epuipment, then sold the truck. I had this truck in a 3pg magazine article in Ford Truck World magazine, and it highlights the a/v system and shows a pic of the cracked hinge plates. So yea...only two 12's for the 'hoe. The system for the expedition was mainly for show and demo anyway.

As for the remote start, I can do a write up, but it's technical and could take a while.