2003 5.3 FF fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my oil changed at Xpress lube. They do all there inspections and stuff. They had recommended a fuel filter last time. I didn't want to deal with it so I figured i would have them do it. Well 45 minutes later the guy said he has been wrestling with it and cant get it off. He noted that the Flex fuel engines have a different filter, and that a special tool is probably needed to remove it. should i have the dealer do it, can i do it? or what the story here. 84,000 miles on either the 1st or 2nd filter so it needs to be done.
Thanks guys.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
There is a special tool you need to remove the flex fuel filters. You use two wrenches to loosen fitings on the line. But then you need the GM tool J 46363 to disconnect the quick connect fitting.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the h-ll is a flex fuel filter? I removed and replaced mine in 10 minutes. No special tools. Obviously something different than what I have, but still new to me. Someone hook me up with some info. (sorry for absolutly no help at all on the subject, but this FF filter interested me)

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flex Fuel is 85% ethenol, about 30 cents cheaper but the milage is worse
(oh and its better for the environment if your into that sort of thing:D )

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
What the h-ll is a flex fuel filter? I removed and replaced mine in 10 minutes. No special tools. Obviously something different than what I have, but still new to me. Someone hook me up with some info. (sorry for absolutly no help at all on the subject, but this FF filter interested me)

In 03, the flex-fuel engine was introduced on GMT800s and used a different filter.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85- 85% ethanol 15% gas
like i said it saved money but i filled up twice as fast

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange... Where do you fill up a FF truck?

More and more stations carry E85. I live in denver metro and there are at least 20 stations. yet i have never ever put E85 in my truck. My dad has an 07 Tahoe and he puts E85 in every once in while.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took my neighbors 04 FF silverado to the local chevy house where my friend works and had it programed for FF, he now gets an average of 21 mpg on the freeway with FF. havent tried regular, might not be so good... i have a 2002 FF tahoe there arent many Flex Fuel stations around so i just use regular. the one time I did got horable mileage.

Btw Flex Fuel is minimum of 75% Ethanol rest gas, Rated at 105 Octane

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took my neighbors 04 FF silverado to the local chevy house where my friend works and had it programed for FF, he now gets an average of 21 mpg on the freeway with FF. havent tried regular, might not be so good... i have a 2002 FF tahoe there arent many Flex Fuel stations around so i just use regular. the one time I did got horable mileage.

Btw Flex Fuel is minimum of 75% Ethanol rest gas, Rated at 105 Octane

Right now my Tahoe is wheatley tuned for 91 octane gasoline. so i cant try flex fuel. when yours is tuned for flex fuel can you still use gasoline without a retune?

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe so, but whatever you are tuned for is what your going to get the best mileage with. Ex. bad FF mileage with stock tune. you may save 30c but is it really worth it?

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you have FF you have the option of either, you can mix half and half if you want but like ya'll said the milage is crap!:mad2: