Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karr95

Reaction score
I think some of the speakers in my Tahoe (96 4 door) have had it. It wasn't too bad when I had the stock deck in there but now that I have a new Sony CD player, they are horrible.

Does anyone have the directions (like crutchfield gives you) on how to take the doors apart to get to the speakers? In addition, how do you get to the rear roof mounted speakers?

Thanks!

jetfxr27

Reaction score
Did you try Crutchfield? If you have bought anything in the past , just tell them you are putting that stuff in this vehicle. Their CS are very friendly. They should oblige.

My speaker sound HORRIBLE as well. I am in the market for a COMPLETE overhaul in the sound dept.

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
to get to the backs u have to pull the trim apart on the sides, if they are mounted in the top and pull down the head liner, u can unbolt the mounts, if im correct they should be like 11x4's or soo, i cut out the bracket and put in 6x9's in

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The rears can actually be removed by simply flexing the cover just a bit to slip one side out, then you can pull it the opposite direction to remove. The speakers are 4x10.
For the frt doors, start by removing the triangular mirror access trim in the top front corner of the panel. These are held in plce by plastic pins, so you can just pry it off carefully by hand. Next, the trim around the handle needs to be removed. This is snapped in place. Easiest way to remove this is by using a flathead screwdriver or similar tool in between the outer ring trim and the center piece and pry apart. The switch plate trim needs to be removed by pulling up on the rear of the trim (held in by two clips) and then slide back. You can then unplug the switches. There are two screws (maybe one) in the door pull area of the armrest that need to be removed. The rest of the door panel is held in place by the same type of plastic push in pin fastener as the mirror access trim ( the triangular piece at the top corner of the door). It will pop off, but it will be easier to use a panel removal tool or similar tool to get behind the panel and pry apart. These are going to take a little force to pop off, but will. Hope I didn't miss anything (doing this from memory, but I've been in this biz for 15 yrs, so this should work;) ).

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i broke one of the bars on my speaker grills doing this. guess i bent it too much. i glued it back and it's good as new. i got kenwood 4x10s off ebay for $40 + shipping and they fit the factory location with only having to wallow out 2 mounting holes on the outside of each speaker (so as not to drill on my hoe).