2000 limited AC front blower issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atis

Reaction score
My front AC/heater blower is not working... the rear works fine. I have replaced the blower motor resistor and that did nothing. It went through a phase of turning itself on adn off when it wanted too before it finally stopped all together. I tested the plug for power with a meter... I get a few mil amps when in the off position, 11.4v on position 1, 2, 3 and 11.7v at max... so I bought a new motor and plugged it in... it started on 3 for about 3 seconds and then stopped... nothing in any position... what gives??

2000 tahoe limited (5.7L)

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Since you have a meter, try these flowcharts. Hopefully this will help solve your problem.

Blower control system check
84e626f8.gif

Symptom Diagnostics - Blower motor inop at any speed

afb6e96f.gif

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

atis

Reaction score
dumb question... the blower motor relay high is the relay under the dash next to the blower motor resister correct?? My repair manual sucks....:nonod:

and it doesnt show which is the C1 or C2 etc... i have the relay from under the dash out... I have "tone" between 30 and 87a and I pulled the fan motor and I get tone across pos and neg motor connectors.... checked the 50a fuse under hood... its good, so is the one by the drivers door...and I have now replaced the switch on the dash (fan speed) and that didnt do a darn thing either.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
dumb question... the blower motor relay high is the relay under the dash next to the blower motor resister correct?? My repair manual sucks....:nonod:

and it doesnt show which is the C1 or C2 etc... i have the relay from under the dash out... I have "tone" between 30 and 87a and I pulled the fan motor and I get tone across pos and neg motor connectors.... checked the 50a fuse under hood... its good, so is the one by the drivers door...and I have now replaced the switch on the dash (fan speed) and that didnt do a darn thing either.

The high relay should be on top close to the resistor. Sounds like you have the right one.
C1 should be the gray plug with a purple wire, which is the motor feed ( +12V). C2 should be a black plug with a blk wire, which is ground.

atis

Reaction score
well I got desperate to fix it so I have replaced the following;

Blower resistor
Blower High relay
Blower switch (inside the dash on main controls)

all to no eval... still nothing.... how do I test the motor itself?? I got tone by touching the pos and neg on the motor... I think I will hook up one of my 12v plane motors (radio control) and see if I can get it to respond to the switch... any ideas?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Have you checked to make sure you had a good ground to the blower motor?

atis

Reaction score
no its not brushless, but my blower motor has both the pos and neg attached to the plug...and 5 screws mounting it to the box... I tried to replace it but no one carries it (autozone, advance auto)

atis

Reaction score
I have power (12v) at the Blower Relay (which comes directly from the panel under the hood)...and I have tone from the relay's purple wire to the plug (so the wire is good)...but I still cant get this thing fixed....any ideas??:mad2:

Now when I check power at the motor plug I get 0, 9.3v,9.5v,9.6, 0..... and of course nothing works (IE fan or my little 12v brushed motor) at any setting...

Last edited:

atis

Reaction score
ok... I FINALLY solved it.... the power (hot) wire that is a part of the wiring harness that plugs into the blower switch on the dash had apartently worked itself loose... I noticed it when I went to test it for power (black discolorization) so I cleaned it up and fixed it (apartently it had spread) and plugged it back in... now I dont think that was the initial problem since at one point the only way to get the thing to work was to go inbetween fan speed setting... which is what I think caused the arching that finished damaging it.... but all is well now... :clapping: