96 Tahoe SEsoon Light and rough idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetfxr27

Reaction score
I get a code of ECV.
At idle and all ranges of operation engine runs rough. More noticable at idle. vehicle actually may stall at times at idle. Acts as if a Plug wire is grounding.
Very itermittent. I will go weeks without incident. Then all of a sudden here it is!
Any ideas?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like a plug wire arcing or grounding like you mentioned.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could also be the camshaft position sensor which would indicate a bad sensor or the distributor is not properly installed. have u tried cleaning the contacts under your distributor cap? they have a tendency to corrode

of course check your plugs for carbon deposits and plug wires for visible damage. if u have over 100,000 miles replace your plug wires! it is worth the $80 bucks after 2 weeks with better gas mileadge.

jetfxr27

Reaction score
Also,
when I get the light and rough idle , the gas pedal is hard to depress. It feels as if its being held. When you apply enough force it will kinda pop then you can accelerate. Almost like the vaccum in the throttle body is so great that its holding the butterfly valve closed. :confused: :confused2:

jetfxr27

Reaction score
I am definitely gonna do the wires and look at the cap.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wd40 should fix the gas pedal. unless the linkage is binding

Jeromyhu

Reaction score
Try running Sea Foam through your main vacuum intake line. Use as noted on the can. Then purchase Sea Foam Deep Creep spray, and spray that in and around your throttle body on the top of the engine. Open the throttle body/air intake valve manually and use a toothbrush to clean off the carbon around the edges of the throttle valve. Make sure the engine is warm when you clean the throttle body. And engine is running while pouring Sea Foam into the vacuum line. Note: pour Sea Foam slowly into the vacuum line. Make take a few times doing, but I guarntee this will fix your problem.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea if sea foam doesn't work it should b the distributor alignment

Last edited: