97 engine dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bussoli86

Reaction score
i was driving down a highway and hit some bumper to bumper stand still traffic. After about 25minutes of just idleing, my engine cut out. I tried to restart the engine 3 times before it started. It only lasted long enough for me to pull off to the shoulder, before it died again. After sitting on the shoulder for a while and waiting for the traffic to clear, i started my tahoe again and was able to drive fine, at speed. Everything ran fine for the next hour or 2, till i hit bad traffic again. As soon as i was at a stop and idleing, the engine died again. It seems to happen when im travelling 20km/h or less. If i am moving or only stopped beriefly, the engine works fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

My guess is bad gas (like water in the tank), or a faulty wire ... any input of similar experience or ideas would be great.

bussoli86

Reaction score
sorry, just saw thread with a simmilar topic. I'll look into the idea suggested there (corrosion of ground on main electrical harness). But if any new ideas come up, id be happy to hear them

bussoli86

Reaction score
upon inspection (once the rain stopped) i just found that my throttle cable is fraid and stretched. Hopefully that is the only source of the problem.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me on my 5.0 motor. It was the mod that controls spark not working once it get hot. If the mod for the coil is going bad, when it gets hot it stop the spark. Check to see when the problem happens is your getting spark. That is what I would check first.
Just read it was raining, I would check the ingition systems for sure

Last edited:

Jason_Ridgeway

Reaction score
yea

Happened to me on my 5.0 motor. It was the mod that controls spark not working once it get hot. If the mod for the coil is going bad, when it gets hot it stop the spark. Check to see when the problem happens is your getting spark. That is what I would check first.
Just read it was raining, I would check the ingition systems for sure

could be I should have thought of that:yesnod:

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that exact same thing happen. Turned out it was the fuel pump going bad. Blah. Finally went one day. When it happens again, check to see if the pump is priming. (whirling sound when turning ignition to ON)

Hardwarz