Catback Exhaust Systems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surf_moore

Reaction score
I have an '02 tahoe that I would like to put split side exit exhuast on. I have looked at the gibson systems, as well as flowmaster. Has anyone had experience with this that could tell me whether it is easier to buy a bolt on system or just have one fabricated?

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say just buy a pre-built system. Custom made catbacks are ok if you're really on a budget, but the quality could be questionable. I'd spend the extra money on a prebuilt unit from a name brand, becasue they spend alot of money doing R&D on their stuff (you get what you pay for, you know?). Gibsons are nice, but aren't very loud compared to some. I personally prefer the lower volume that Gibson provides, because it isn't a pain in the ass on the highway but still sounds nice when you floor it. Other people like the really loud systems, but I think a Gibson dual exhaust combined with a Volant or K&N intake kit sounds really badass - you get the best combo of intake, engine and exhaust noise without one really overpowering the others.

Whatever you buy, opt for the stainless steel piping. It will last a LOT longer than the aluminized version. Trust me...I've made that mistake before.

xxLoudAzTahoexx

Reaction score
I prefer the premade parts they are already bent and separated in the right places for easy install. i installed the flowmaster kit on my 01 tahoe and the hardest part of the install was gettin the bolts off the mid pipe right after the cat on the factory exhaust. i ended up having to drill the bolts out and buying new ones.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Whichever you choose, stainless steel is better than aluminized tubing. It will last a lot longer. And mandrel bent tubing is better than the "crimp" style tubing. The smooth mandrel bends will allow the exhaust gasses to flow much better.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with a Corsa Sport Exhaust. I have a Corsa Exhaust System on my 02 Z06, and it sounds nice! And with no resonance in the interior. It's a premade system, w/ 4" Tips and a nice growl, but quiet when you're cruising. They have sound clips on there website, sounds just like my vette. Almost an exotic sound, as opposed to that muscle car sound. A little pricey, but worth it IMO.